This delicious tomato salad made with capers and feta, then dressed with a fresh herb lemon vinaigrette is bursting with flavour!
Great tasting tomatoes are abundant in the summer, take a look at another classic recipe featuring them Tuscan Panzanella Salad if you love them as much as we do!
Tomato season is upon us and I can’t get enough of plump heirloom tomatoes from my local farmers market. Red, yellow, green and cherry tomatoes. I love them all!
Let’s start with appetisers or starters. Tomato and Basil Bruschetta is one of the simplest and quickest things to throw together. It tastes outstanding when ripe tomatoes are used. When not in season, I go for sweeter cherry tomatoes.
If you are looking for a quick and healthy snack in the summer, my 5 Minute Salsa Fresca is it. Because it’s made in your blender it’s pretty much instant and so fresh!
This simple Heirloom Tomato and Cucumber Salad is our summer staple. It’s non-fussy and goes well with nearly everything! Good quality tomatoes are a must.
I have to admit salads are where I like to use my fresh tomatoes above all. The recipe I am sharing today is all about them! I love to mix different varieties and dress them with a punchy lemon herb vinaigrette.
Combining tomatoes of different colours brings so much richness to the taste, not to mention the visual appeal. For this particular recipe I also added briny capers and feta for a Mediterranean taste!
If you don’t like capers, feel free to substitute them with kalamata or green olives or omit them. You can also use Mexican Cotija or goat cheese in place of feta.
Fresh Herb Dressing
I love dressing my salads with a simple French Vinaigrette, but for this tomato salad I took my usual recipe up a notch and added a mix of fresh herbs, namely parsley and oregano. I also flavoured it with lemon juice and zest, finely minced shallots and garlic.
The combination is simply divine. The acidity of the lemon mellows out the shallots and garlic but keeps a much needed zing to contrast with the sweet tomatoes. This vinaigrette is so delicious it would work on a variety of dishes.
Fresh oregano is a potent herb, and if you find it a bit much, substitute with fresh thyme, mint or basil. Experiment with your herb combos and find what you like most.
Favourite Tomato Salad Recipes to Try:
- Tomato Salad with Basil and Mozzarella (Caprese)
- Cucumber and Heirloom Tomato Salad with Red Onions
- Middle Eastern Fattoush Salad
- Summer Tomato and Cucumber Salad
For the herb vinaigrette
- 1 lemon zest and juice only
- 1 shallot
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 20g/1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 60ml/1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- 5 red and yellow tomatoes medium
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes red and yellow
- 3 tbsp capers
- 75g/1/2 cup feta cheese
- In a large bowl combine the zest and juice of a lemon, finely chopped shallots and minced garlic, the chopped leaves of parsley and oregano with a pinch of salt.
- Add the tomatoes cut into wedges and halved cherry tomatoes, capers and the feta cheese. Mix to combine. Season with salt to taste. Let the salad sit to infuse for 20 minutes before serving.