Let me tell you something. I have a tumultuous love-hate relationship with salads. Please, assure me I am not the only one! I know they are good for me but they just don’t excite me in the same way something warm and gooey like cheese fondue does. (Why cheese fondue? I have no idea, it just randomly popped into my mind.) But then spring comes and I welcome salads into my life with open arms.
So much green goodness out there, I couldn’t be happier. It lasts for a bit and then salads are once again dead to me. I want to stay faithful to them forever but it’s tough, guys. One thing I have discovered, however, is key to a great tasting salad is a flavourful dressing and today I am going to let you in on a fabulous dressing recipe secret.
As an adult with well-developed taste buds I’ve come to love vinaigrettes and appreciate their health benefit, but in my opinion nothing can compare to creamy dressings. That’s when my Slavic upbringing on butter and sour cream chimes in I am sure.
The salad and dressing I am sharing with you today is reminiscent of flavours of summer garden salads I grew up eating. The shape and form vary slightly from traditional Russian salads but the flavours are all there!
Sweet peas and crunchy radishes brought together by creamy dill dressing and crumbled fresh farmer’s cheese. Those are the true flavours of Russian summers spent in the country! I’ve used arugula, although sorrel would be a more authentic pairing, which has proven to be impossible to find outside of Eastern Europe. Do you still have Easter eggs kicking around? Throw them into the mix, the last addition could not be more Russian!
Spring Pea and Arugula Salad with Creamy Dill Dressing
For the salad
- 1 cup- peas fresh or frozen
- 4-5- radishes sliced
- 1 cup- arugula
- 1 tbsp- farmer's cheese or feta crumbled
- 2- eggs boiled
For the creamy dill dressing
- 2/3 cup- Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup- mayonnaise I use light
- 1 tsp- white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp- dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp- fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp- water
- Defrost peas if using frozen.
- Boil eggs and cool.
- Combine peas, arugula and sliced radishes in a medium bowl.
- In a mason jar combine yogurt, mayonnaise, white wine vinegar, mustard, chopped dill and water, screw the lid on and shake vigorously until combined. You might want to add more water to a desired consistency.
- Alternatively, you can mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl using a whisk.
- Use 2-3 tbsp of Creamy Dill Dressing to dress your salad and reserve the rest for later use.
- Sprinkle with some cheese and top with boiled eggs. Serve immediately.