Tender and juicy chicken and bursting with freshness green peas in a cream sauce. This recipe is as simple as it is earthy, delicious and comforting.
You might wonder why you would choose this recipe for chicken breasts out of thousands on the internet. The answer is simple.
It’s the type of a meal, which makes you feel happy, safe and utterly at peace with the world. It is easy, straightforward and takes less than half hour to prepare.
This chicken recipe will appeal to the pickiest of eaters and please hungry adults at your table. There are no downsides to this recipe. None.
Creamy Chicken with Peas
This recipe uses fridge and freezer staples. Skinless, boneless chicken breasts, which are so quick to cook and frozen peas. Combine them in a savoury cream sauce, flavoured with shallots, garlic, thyme and dry white wine and you’ve got yourself a winner.
This recipe is crazy versatile. Essentially, you can use any herbs you like instead of thyme. Sage, rosemary, basil or oregano. You can also use dried herbs instead of fresh.
Not a fan of peas, add in the vegetables of your choice. I personally adore peas and always have a bag in my freezer and that is why you see them here.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Make sure you brown the chicken breasts first before adding the creamy sauce for better flavour and texture.
- I’ve used shallots as I prefer their delicate flavour to onions in a cream sauce but you can definitely use white onions instead.
- As I mentioned above, almost any herb will compliment the chicken flavour here. Fee free to make it your own by adding your favourite herbs like rosemary, sage or basil!
- The same goes for peas. They can be easily swapped for mushrooms, green beans or broccoli.
- I like adding a touch of dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay to cream sauce. Without that acidity, the sauce can taste a little bland and heavy. However, if you don’t want to use alcohol, you can substitute with the same amount of chicken stock plus 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Finally, for those of you who avoid dairy, you don’t have to stay away from this recipe. Use a plant based milk or cream. I used soya single cream in this recipe in the past, and my lactose intolerant son absolutely loves it. If you do use a plant based milk instead of cream, I recommend thickening the sauce with a bit of flour or cornstarch. I personally go for Soya Single Cream by Alpro as it has a similar consistency as dairy heavy cream.
Favourite Chicken Breast Recipes with a Variety of Sauces:
- Chicken Supreme with Mushrooms
- Chicken Arrabiata with Herb and Garlic Breadcrumbs
- Lemon Butter Chicken Cutlets
- Chicken Provencal
Chicken and Green Peas in Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 shallot or ½ white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 80ml/1/3 cup dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 250ml/1 cup double/heavy cream
- 80ml/1/3 cup chicken stock
- 140g/1 cup green peas frozen
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then brown in olive oil in a hot pan until golden on both sides but not cooked all the way through. Remove to a separate plate.
- To the pan add chopped shallot and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, then add the minced garlic and thyme, stir to combine and cook for half a minute, then deglaze with the white wine and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes to allow the wine to reduce in volume.
- Pour in the cream and chicken stock with a pinch of salt, then bring the chicken breasts back to the pan and let them cook in the sauce until done for 15 minutes. Then add in the frozen peas and cook for 2-3 minutes longer until the peas are warmed through. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.