Take your roasted carrots to the next level by adding a maple mustard glaze with a touch of chilli. Sweet, savoury and a little spicy, these glazed carrots will be a perfect accompaniment to your main course.
If you are a roasted carrot fan, you will fall in love with this recipe. Very simple to put together but quite spectacular on a dinner table. The glaze truly adds such a special touch to the humble vegetable.
The Maple Glaze
I’ve always struggled with the idea of adding more sugar to an already sweet vegetable like carrots. However, this recipe convinced me it could be done well without making the carrots cloyingly sweet.
The Canadian in me adores adding maple syrup to savoury recipes. It brings a touch of sweetness, but more importantly, it infuses food with a beautiful flavour and aroma. This Maple BLT Sandwich is a great example of such pairing.
Although maple syrup is the main ingredient in the glaze, it is balanced by Dijon mustard and a touch of spicy chilli oil. You might choose to omit the chilly oil but we find it to be the most unexpected and interesting part of the recipe.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Use the carrots that are similar in length and width, so they would roast more evenly. Alternatively, you can cut them to size.
- I recommend peeling the carrots for the visual appeal. They appear “more glazed” on the smooth surface.
- Make sure the entire carrot is coated with the glaze. You can either brush the glaze on or toss the carrots in it.
- If you want a more intense flavour, glaze the carrots again halfway through the roasting. And one more time after they are done.
- I used small and thin carrots for this recipe, which took 40 minutes to roast. If your carrots are thicker, they might take a bit longer. Adjust the timing accordingly.
Favourite Side Dishes to Try:
- Balsamic Glazed Beets with Goat Cheese and Mint
- Scalloped Corn
- Lemon Garlic Green Beans
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Honey and Bacon
Maple Glazed Roasted Carrots
- 2 lbs carrots
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp chilli oil or dried chilli flakes
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Pick the carrots that are similar in size and thickness or cut them. Peel them.
- In a small bowl mix the maple syrup, melted butter, Dijon mustard and the chilli oil or chilli flakes. The chilli oil is optional.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper for an easy clean up, then arrange the carrots on the tray with a little space between them. Brush the glaze on the carrots, then flip them and brush the other side. (You will have some glaze leftover, set aside for later.) Roast in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes depending on the size of your carrots.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining glaze, season with sea salt before serving.