This maple BLT sandwich with avocado and garlic chipotle sauce on buttery brioche bread is a definite step up from the original.
For another classic sandwich recipe take a look at our Croque Monsieur.
Some classic combinations are hard to beat. They’ve stood the test of time and survived. BLT sandwich is one of them.
But just because the traditional recipe calls for bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiched between two slices of bread doesn’t mean there is no room for improvement.
And I believe my real maple syrup glazed bacon is one upgrade this sandwich needed! The mix of the intense maple flavour as well as the sweetness it brings with the smoky saltiness of the bacon is impossible to resist!
As if that wasn’t enough I added a couple more things to my epic BLT sandwich without taking away from its simplicity.
- sliced avocado
- smoky chipotle sauce
I also introduced the softest, buttery brioche bread to the mix and I will never go back to normal bread. Until I tried the brioche bread in my BLT, I was convinced the only bread fit for sandwiches was crusty, chewy sourdough. I was wrong.
The only thing that should cause any sort of resistance to the bite has to be bacon. Everything else needs to be soft, creamy and juicy for that perfect balance of textures. That is why brioche bread is the only one for me.
You can also use regular white bread but it will never match the brioche in flavour!
Making the sandwich
It sounds a bit odd to write about making of the BLT sandwich. What is there to write about you might think! Just layer bacon, lettuce and tomato on bread and you are good to go, right? Not quite.
Doing just that will definitely get you a sandwich but will it be the best sandwich? Not even close. When the recipe is so simple, the path to success lies through the best ingredients and special sauces. Which brings me to my creation.
Recipe Tips and Notes
Maple glazed bacon takes the taste in this sandwich to new heights. So easy to do yet such a huge flavour upgrade!
You will need to cook the bacon in the oven, otherwise it will burn. Oven method is actually quite brilliant. No fuss, no splatter!
Make sure you use streaky bacon if you are in the UK for the authentic BLT taste and texture!
Don’t forget that a tomato makes ⅓ of the taste of this sandwich, so choose a ripe one. If you can’t get your hands on heirloom tomatoes, even better!
While avocado is not necessary, it brings something very special to the mix. Creaminess! For avocado lovers, this addition is a must in my opinion.
Finally, my special sauce. I have to admit I am very proud of this pairing. Chipotle sauce plays so well with maple syrup glazed bacon. It also adds a little moisture to the sandwich, which we all know is a great thing!
Soup and sandwich or salad and sandwich are two classic pairings. Here are my favourites to serve alongside my epic BLT.
- 6-8 strips bacon/streaky bacon in the UK
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 avocado optional
- 1 ripe tomato
- 2-3 leaves lettuce
- 4 sliced brioche bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise can use low fat
- ½ tsp chipotle paste
- ½ clove garlic grated
- Arrange bacon slices on a wire rack inside a baking pan lined with aluminum sheet to catch the grease. Brush the bacon slices with maple syrup on 1 or both sides depending on how sweet you want it to be. Bake in the preheated to 180C/350F oven for 20 minutes until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crispy.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the chipotle paste and garlic, then set aside to infuse.
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread and toast it on a pan. If you wish to use a toaster instead, toast the bread first, then spread the butter on it.
- After the bread has been toasted, spread the chipotle mayo on one side of the bread slice. Assemble your BLT by layering the lettuce and tomato slices, then bacon and sliced avocado. Top with the second slice of bread toasted side up.