Delicious and cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup that is ready in under 30 minutes! All you need is a slice of good bread and your lunch is set.
Fan of creamy soups? Take a look at our Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup.
I am not the one who usually practices minimalism in cooking but the recipe I am sharing today is one. This Cream of Broccoli Soup with Smoked Gouda is a good example of quality and seasonal ingredients standing on their own.
6 ingredients, not counting the essentials like salt and pepper, and 25 minutes of your time are standing between this fabulous recipe and you.
It’s so quick that I was able to make it, photograph it, edit the photos and write this post ALL AFTER WORK. And you know how little of daylight we have nowadays! I kid you not, this soup is speedy!
What makes this soup stand out from the crowd of “cream of broccoli soups” is a light smoky touch. Smoked gouda is responsible for that.
A velvety creaminess comes from a couple of tablespoons of blue cheese. The broccoli is cooked in stock instead of water, which gives additional flavour to your soup.
These three things make all the difference and take an old fashioned cream of broccoli soup to the next level.
Feel free and double the recipe to save some for later. It freezes beautifully and will keep well frozen for up to 1 month.
More Ingredient Options and Substitutions
- If you are not a fan of blue cheese, just stir in a couple of tablespoons of sour cream or creme fraiche!
- Instead of smoked gouda you can use smoked cheddar.
- Add some chopped bacon or chopped chorizo to garnish your soup instead of nigella seeds.
Now let’s talk presentation and styling. I know not everyone feels like it’s very important for our everyday lives and it’s fair!
We are busy BUT if you feel like bringing a wow factor to your table, you can transform this humble broccoli soup into a stunning starter to your dinner party. Here is what I’ve done…
- Drizzled a tablespoon of single cream, or half and half for my American friends.
- Sprinkle with some nigella or black sesame seeds.
- You can also add some croutons.
It takes extra 2 minutes and makes a world of difference. If you are not familiar with nigella seeds, you better make friends fast. They are those little black seeds used in Indian naans; tasty and so fragrant! Enjoy!
For more vegetable soup recipes check out my favourites:
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
This recipe was originally published in 01/2017. Updated and republished in 02/2021.
Cream of Broccoli Soup with Smoked Gouda
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head/350 g/12 oz broccoli florets only
- 750ml/3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp blue cheese or sour cream
- 100g/3.5 oz smoked gouda or cheddar shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp single cream optional
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, nigella seeds or poppy seeds for garnish
- In a medium pot cook chopped onion in olive oil over low heat for 5 minutes until start to soften.
- Add broccoli florets and stock and bring to a boil, cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- When your broccoli is cooked through, process the soup until smooth in a food processor in two batches or with an immersion blender in the pot together with blue cheese.
- If using a food processor, return the soup to the pot and gently heat it until it simmers, take it off the heat and add the smoked gouda, stir until melted and blended in.
- Add salt and pepper to taste after both cheese are blended into the soup, the quantity will depend on saltiness of your cheeses and stock.
- Garnish with single cream and nigella seeds if desired and serve immediately.