Delicious Cream of Broccoli Soup that is ready in under 30 minutes!
I am not the one who usually practices minimalism in cooking but the recipe I am sharing today is one. This Cream of Broccoli Soup with Smoked Gouda is a good example of quality and seasonal ingredients standing on their own.
6 ingredients, not counting the essentials like salt and pepper, and 25 minutes of your time are standing between this fabulous recipe and you.
It’s so quick that I was able to make it, photograph it, edit the photos and write this post ALL AFTER WORK and you know how little of daylight we have nowadays! I kid you not, this soup is speedy!
This cream of broccoli soup was ready and waiting on the stove when my hungry ‘almost teenager’ came home from school. He downed a big bowl of it immediately. For a snack.
That’s right we are now this family. Teenage years are literally just a few months away although I feel like we’ve been living them for a year already!
How do I add flavour to cream of broccoli soup?
What makes this soup stand out from the crowd of “cream of broccoli soups” is a light smoky touch that smoked gouda brings and a velvety creaminess that comes from a couple of tablespoons of blue cheese.
Add-ons and substitutions for this cream of broccoli soup
If you are not a fan of blue cheese, just stir in a couple of tablespoons of sour cream or creme fraiche!
Instead of smoked gouda you can use smoked cheddar.
Add some chopped bacon or chopped chorizo to garnish your soup instead of nigella seeds.
How do I make cream of broccoli soup look pretty?
Now let’s talk presentation and styling…I know not everyone feels like it’s very important for our everyday lives and it’s fair!
We are busy BUT if you feel like bringing a wow factor to your table, you can transform this humble broccoli soup into a stunning starter to your dinner party. Here is what I’ve done…
I drizzled a tablespoon of single cream, or half and half for my American friends, and sprinkled with some nigella seeds. Done!
It takes extra 2 minutes and makes a world of difference. If you are not familiar with nigella seeds, you better make friends fast. They are those little black seeds used in Indian naans; tasty and so fragrant! Enjoy!
For more soup recipes, check out my favourites:
If you make any of these recipes, share them with me by tagging @vikalinka in your Instagram snaps!
- 1 onion small, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head/350 g/12 oz broccoli florets only
- 750 ml/3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp blue cheese or sour cream
- 100 g/3.5 oz smoked gouda shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- single cream and nigella seeds for garnish optional
- In a medium pot cook chopped onion in olive oil over low heat for 5 minutes until start to soften.
- Add broccoli florets and stock and bring to a boil, cook for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- When your broccoli is cooked through, process the soup until smooth in a food processor in two batches or with an immersion blender in the pot together with blue cheese.
- If using a food processor, return the soup to the pot and gently heat it until it simmers, take it off the heat and add the smoked gouda, stir until melted and blended in.
- Add salt and pepper to taste after both cheese are blended into the soup, the quantity will depend on saltiness of your cheeses and stock.
- Garnish with single cream and nigella seeds if desired and serve immediately.