This Nutella banana bread will become your family favourite. Is it possible to improve the classic banana bread recipe? Yes, it is if you swirl nutella into the top and create an amazing chocolate crust!!
I can honestly say this banana bread recipe is the BEST. No need to look any further. It’s right here.The incredibly tender and flavour-concentrated loaf comes from 5 bananas and only ½ cup of butter.
It’s low-fat, people! The best part, however, is the crust. Do you want to know the secret? Nutella, baby! Would you just look at swirls and craters it created!!
If you are the type who doesn’t bake, have no fear. This beauty was baked entirely by my 10 and 8 year olds. All I did was take pictures. The recipe is full proof, I promise, and is a very easy one.
I am not going to lie I’ve had a weakness for Nutella since childhood. I love adding it to my sweet creations as it’s an easy way to enfuse a simple bake with so much flavour.
I love the chocolate spread so much, I made my own homemade Nutella using almonds. Feel free to substitute the store bought Nutella with my wholesome, natural recipe.
Just a quick reminder. This recipe is EASY. My kids made it!
- The batter will bake more evenly if split into two smaller loaves.
- Bake two loaves and freeze one for later. It will keep well for up to 3 months.
- You don’t need a mixer for this recipe to work. Just a bowl and a whisk/spoon.
- Ripe/over-ripe bananas work best for banana bread.
- If your bananas don’t easily mash with a fork, use a potato masher.
- You can add chocolate chips, nuts or raisins to this banana bread if you wish.
- Don’t forget to slightly warm your Nutella before swirling into the bread.
This recipe was originally published in 09/2014. Updated and republished in 03/2021.
More Everyday Cake Recipes:
Nutella Crust Banana Bread
- 200g/1 cup white sugar
- 50g/1/4 cup brown sugar
- 125g/1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs large
- 5 bananas mashed
- 125ml/1/2 cup buttermilk or kefir
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 350g/2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp Nutella warmed
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C and move your oven rack to a lower position. Grease the bottom only of a large or two medium loaf pans.
- Cream softened butter and both sugars in a large bowl. Stir in eggs one at a time until well blended. Stir in mashed bananas (if bananas were previously frozen drain all liquid, this will produce more concentrated flavour in your loaf), buttermilk and vanilla, beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until just combined. Do not over beat.
- Put Nutella in a microwave and heat for 30 sec to loosen it.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan(s) and drizzle Nutella on top, swirl lightly with a knife.
- Bake for 90 minutes if baking one large loaf or 50-60 minutes if baking two loaves or until toothpick comes out clean.