Bake this easy apple spice cake to treat your friends and family! I drew inspiration from a zucchini bread method to make my apple cake as moist as possible by adding oodles of grated apples directly to the batter.
For another fruit based cake take a look at our Nutella Banana Bread .
Don’t you think autumn is the ideal time to bake?
There is plenty of fruit, that’s been just harvested but the temperature is not scorching hot anymore, which makes a warm oven is quite welcome. Especially when it is a cheaper substitute for central heating!
Moist Apple Spice Cake
This apple spice cake is my take on a well-beloved zucchini loaf, except instead of zucchini I am using shredded apples. They add moisture to the cake as well as a delicious flavour and stunning aroma!
3 Reasons to Make It
- It has the familiar taste of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves we all crave once the weather turns chilly.
- Although this cake is so easy, little extras like crunchy streusel topping and salted caramel drizzle take this simple apple spice cake to the next level.
- This cake is the easiest cake you will make! This recipe will serve well all levels of bakers out there. You don’t even need any specialised equipment for it. Just a whisk and a wooden spoon will do.
The streusel topping I used here is slightly different from a traditional one. It resembles a cookie dough and bakes up like a crunchy walnut-studded cookie crust on top of a soft cake. The contrast of textures is quite exciting.
Even though this cake is incredibly soft and flavourful, the best part of it is the crunchy streusel top drenched in caramel. Pure indulgence!
What sugar is best?
I’ve used Demerara/Turbinado sugar, which has more nutrients and minerals than regular white sugar. It’s light brown in appearance, raw, and has a natural caramel flavour that hasn’t been refined out as it is the case with white sugar.
However, white sugar will also work as a good substitute.
You can also use brown sugar for the streusel topping.
What apples to use in a cake
Any apples you have on hand. I’ve used Gala apples that went a bit soft and my children refused eating them. You don’t even have to peel them. Just remove the core and grate. Food processor is excellent for this kind of task.
What cake pan to use
- This recipe will work in a square 9″X9″ pan.
- It also works in a round 9″ pan, a rectangular 9″X13″.
- You can also bake this batter in a muffin pan. It will make 12 muffins.
How long does does it stay fresh?
The cake will remain fresh for up to 3 days if kept on a countertop. If you make it into 12 muffins, they are wonderfully freezable and will keep up to 1 month or longer.
Just pop one in a microwave and you have a breakfast ready in a minute.
For more simple and seasonal cake recipes check out my favourites
- Cranberry Clementine Loaf
- Wild Blackberry Tea Cake (made with frozen blackberries)
- Lemon Ricotta Cake
- Pumpkin Loaf with Butterscotch Streusel Topping
If you make any of these, please share them with me by tagging @vikalinka in your Instagram snaps or using #vikalinka.
The recipe originally published in 10/2013, updated 11/2018.
For the Cake
- 3 cups/4 medium apples
- 300g/1 ¼ cups sugar Demerara/Turbinado or white sugar
- 125ml/1/2cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs large
- 350g/3 cups flour all purpose
- 2 tsp baking soda-
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice or pumpkin spice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the Streusel Topping
- 5 ½ tbsp flour-
- 5 tbsp sugar Demerara/Turbinado or brown sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mixed spice or pumpkin spice
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp butter slightly softened
- 4 tbsp walnuts chopped
- 2-3 tbsp salted caramel I used Marks and Spencer brand
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Grease a 9 inch square pan. (See the text above for cake pan options) Shred the apples with skin on and mix together with sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients (cake ingredients only). Pour the batter into your pan and smooth the top.
- Mix together the streusel ingredients in a small bowl with a fork or use your hands. The streusel won't be crumbly but will have the consistency of a cookie dough. Pinch off small bits and cover the surface of the cake.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for 30 minutes, then remove it from the pan and let it cook completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with pre-made salted caramel. (If you caramel sauce is a bit stiff put it in the microwave for 30 seconds, that should help to get it runny and only use a good quality brand you trust.)