The recipe for this cranberry orange bread is as simple as it is delicious and is a must for Christmas season.
Moving abroad comes with many adjustments to how we celebrate Christmas as a family. Different food, different shops, different Christmas tunes and movies.
So when I see something familiar like a bag of cranberries in my local grocery store I snatch it and make a cake almost immediately. Where did those cranberries come from you might ask? Canada!!
It’s hard to find a better pairing for cranberries than oranges. Fragrant and sweet clementines that are abundant around Christmas season make beautiful music together with tart and sparkly cranberries.
How stunning are those cranberries! If you look very carefully at the one in the center you will see a reflection of me with my Canon. 😉
How to make the best cranberry orange bread
- Use the best tasting, fragrant oranges. I prefer clementines or mandarin oranges.
- Use Greek yogurt or sour cream for a better, more moist loaf
- You can substitute freshly squeezed orange juice but it won’t have the same intense flavour.
- Drizzle the loaf with a beautiful orange-flavoured glaze.
Overall this cranberry orange bread is a real winner. It’s delicious, easily adaptable to any flavour and super quick to prepare.
More quick bread recipes
- Flour sifted-2 cups
- Sugar- 1 cups
- Baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp.
- Baking Soda- 1/2 tsp.
- Salt- 1/2 tsp.
- Greek yogurt plain- 1 cup
- Milk-1/4 cup
- Orange juice from 1 Clementine orange/ any mandarine orange- 1/4 cup
- Vegetable oil- 1/4 cup
- Eggs- 2 large
- Vanilla extract- 2 tsp.
- Orange zest- from 1 Clementine orange
- Cranberries fresh or frozen- 1 1/4 cup
For the glaze
- Icing sugar- 1/2 cup
- Orange juice from 1 Clementine orange- 2 tbsp.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease your 5"X9" (1.5 Qt./1.5 L) loaf pan.
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl whisk yogurt, milk, orange juice, oil, vanilla extract, orange zest and eggs.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and combine until blended, then gently fold in cranberries.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake 60-65 minutes until the cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool until safe to touch and remove from the pan.
- Prepare glaze by mixing icing sugar and orange juice in a small bowl.
- Cool completely and drizzle with glaze.