I have zero business baking today. None whatsoever. I have a big test coming up on Friday and I still have loads of work to do. But…look at those rolls…they are everything that is simple, uncontrived and true.
In other words, opposite to what my life is right now. I needed them to feel like I can create beautiful things. I needed that burst of confidence.
So I mixed up the dough close to midnight last night and went to sleep a wee bit happier.
These rolls are quite special. I borrowed the dough recipe from Taste of Home but the filling came to me in a dream…okay it was more of a daydream. The one where almond croissants appear often.
I crave them any time of the day. I will happily trade any meal for a cup of coffee and a croissant that explodes into thousands of flakes as soon as you bite into it only to reveal a creamy almond filling.
With that thought in mind I knew what I wanted inside my rolls. Almonds and chocolate or to be more exact homemade almond nutella I made recently and still had exactly half a cup left.
Don’t worry you don’t have to go all frontier woman and make everything from scratch. A store-bought Nutella will do just fine but to get that intense almond flavour you have to make your own.
I am not the one for super sweet sauces and glazes but this Vanilla Bean and Almond glaze is necessary!!!
So these rolls are overnight, no-knead, pillowy soft bits of heaven. What are you waiting for? Go make them.
For the dough
- 2 packages 1/4 ounce each active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water 110° to 115°
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
For the filling
- 1/2 cup Nutella divided
- 1/2 cup Ground Almonds divided
For the glaze
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 4 tsp whole milk or half and half
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 vanilla bean seeds of
- In a small bowl dissolve both packages of yeast in warm water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- In a large bowl combine egg, butter, sugar, salt, yeasted water and 3 cups of flour. Mix until well combined.
- Add the rest of the flour to make very soft dough. Mix quickly but do not knead. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight in the fridge. (My house is cold so I left mine out on the counter.)
- In the morning turn out the dough on a well-floured surface and divide into two, roll into balls. Cover one ball with a tea towel to prevent drying out while you working on the other one.
- With a rolling pin roll the dough into a rectangle 18X12", spread with 1/4 cup of Nutella leaving 1/2" border and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of ground almonds.
- Roll tightly starting from the long side. Pinch seam to seal and place on a cutting board seam side down. Slice into 12 pieces and arrange them on a well-oiled 13X9 baking pan.
- Cover with a tea towel and let it rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 375 F/ 190C for 25 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking prepare the glaze. Split a vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife and scrape out vanilla seeds.
- In a small bowl mix icing sugar with milk, almond extract and vanilla bean seeds.
- Drizzle over warm out of the oven rolls.