These bakery style blackberry muffins with a streusel topping are soft and buttery and a cinch to make. Make a batch and store them in your freezer for a quick treat on the go!
Serve these beauties with our Spiced Chai Tea Latte for a cozy breakfast or brunch.
I don’t bake nearly as much as I used to and mostly because we are quite health-conscious in this house. I never want to have loads of baked goods laying around, that are just so dang tempting!
I’ve written many posts about our love for wild blackberry foraging, and this past summer we were especially industrious. The evidence for which you’d see as soon as you open our freezer.
Abundance of wild blackberries resulted in many recipes. Victoria Sponge Cake with Blackberry Compote and Blackberry Fool are some of our favourites. You can even use blackberries in savoury recipes like this Spatchcock Chicken with Spicy Blackberry Sauce.
Blackberry Muffin Recipe
Soft and buttery crumb studded with plump blackberries, which turn into jammy pools of sweetness with a hint of summer, then topped with brown sugar streusel. Are you tempted yet?
These muffins disappear in a hurry in our house. My kids are not breakfast eaters but they definitely eat these, which is a big incentive for me to keep baking them!
The recipe for the muffins is pretty straightforward. There are two things, which make it more special than the rest.
- Yogurt in the batter makes the muffins incredible soft and fluffy.
- Streusel topping takes them another level of taste, texture and visual appeal.
The recipe I am sharing today is pretty much failproof. I’ve used it for nearly two decades. It’s also very versatile and flexible for a couple of reasons.
- Use any yogurt you have on hand (yes, even flavoured or low fat)
- Fresh or Frozen blackberries work equally well
- ANY berries can be used in place blackberries
- You can skip the streusel topping to reduce the calories and they will still taste amazing!
Can I freeze them?
Not too many things make me feel more organised than a freezer full of goodies. These blackberry muffins freezer beautifully. Simply put them in a ziplock bag and store frozen for up to 1 month.
The best way to bring them back to life is to thaw for about 20 minutes on a countertop, then put them in a preheated to 350F/180C oven for 5 minutes or air fryer for 2 minutes.
They will taste freshly baked!
Favourite Muffin Recipes:
The recipe was originally published in 09/2017. Updated and republished in 01.2021.
Bakery Style Blackberry Muffins
- 2½ cups /300 g all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup /165 g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup /125 g butter
- 1 cup /250 ml yogurt
- 2 eggs large
- ¾ cup /190 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup blackberries fresh or frozen
For the streusel topping
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup /30 g flour
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and cut butter in with a pastry blender.
- In a small bowl mix lightly beaten eggs, yogurt, vanilla and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Add blackberries. Stir gently in order not to crush blueberries.
- Make the streusel topping by mixing all the ingredients with a fork.
- Scoop into greased or paper lined muffin tin, sprinkle with a pinch of the streusel topping and bake at 350F/180C for 20-25 minutes.