The secret to the delicious and moist blueberry muffins is in the yogurt! This recipe for lemon blueberry muffins is foolproof and endlessly customizable!
Have I ever told you that nothing makes me feel organised than a freezer full of homemade muffins? I love having supplies stored for a rainy day. Considering that we live in England that day is often here.
In all seriousness, I absolutely adore having fresh muffins waiting for my kids at home after school. Such a perfect snack! Especially if they are made by you and you know exactly what ingredients went in. One of my favourite recipes is Carrot Oatmeal Muffins.
I also love making my Skinny Zucchini Chocolate Muffins for my afternoon coffee break. Low in calories and loads of flavour!
I even have an excellent flourless muffin recipe I often prepare for breakfasts. This Flourless Oatmeal Muffin recipe is great for a make-ahead breakfast prep.
Blueberry Muffin Recipe
These lemon blueberry muffins for example are made moist with yogurt and loads of blueberries with an addition of not much sugar.
I usually make this recipes into 12 good sized muffins. However, this time I used an ice-cream scoop to portion them and I got 18 smaller ones.
You see you can avoid all the guilt and have a little piece of indulgence that is portion and therefore, calorie controlled!
I just talked about my obsession with Lemon and Blueberries combination in my Blueberry and Limoncello Cheese Crepe ‘Blintzes’ recipe and here I go again.
These muffins are a pure delight. Soft and fluffy. Studded with fresh or frozen blueberries and livened up with lemon flavour that filled my house with irresistible aroma.
I could barely wait for them to get out of the oven and had my coffee pot at the ready as soon as they were baked.
How to make them
The recipe for these Lemon Blueberry Muffins couldn’t be easier and more full-proof.
- Just mix your dry ingredients and cut butter in with a pastry blender. Then add mixed wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Top with fresh or frozen blueberries and a good measure of lemon zest and mix gently.
- Scoop them in the greased or paper lined muffin tin, sprinkle with a pinch of Demerara/Turbinado sugar for extra texture and bake!
Such an easy recipe that yields gorgeous blueberry muffins EVERY time!
Can I use other berries in this muffin recipe?
This recipe is brilliant for substitutions. I have used whole wheat flour instead of the all purpose variety, sour cream instead of yogurt, flavoured yogurt instead of plain. And finally ANY fruit I have available in season! A true winner:-)
As I mentioned at the beginning, these muffins freeze beautifully. All you have to do is to put them in a ziplock bag or a freezer suitable container and they will keep for a month.
When you are ready to eat them, take them out of the freezer and either allow them to thaw naturally or simply microwave briefly!
If you reheat these blueberry muffins in an oven at 350F/180C for 5 minutes from thawed, they will taste freshly baked and could be served at a fancy breakfast or brunch.
This recipe was originally published in 03/2014. Updated and republished in 03/2020/
- 275g/2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 150g/3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 125g/1/2 cup butter
- 250ml/1 cup plain yogurt can use flavoured yogurt, low fat is okay
- 2 eggs large
- 185ml/3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lemon zest of one lemon and juice of ½
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp demerara/turbinado sugar for sprinkling optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a large bowl mix your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and cut cold butter in with a pastry blender.
- In a small bowl mix lightly beaten eggs, yogurt, vanilla essence, lemon juice and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ones.
- Add blueberries and lemon zest. Stir gently in order not to crush blueberries.
- Scoop into greased or paper lined muffins tin, sprinkle with a pinch of Demerara/Turbinado sugar and bake at 350F/180C for 20-25 minutes.
- Wholewheat flour could be used.
- Any fruit or berries could be used.
- Flavoured yogurt substitution is acceptable.