These blueberry and limoncello cheese crepes are a perfect treat for a special breakfast or brunch. Everyone will enjoy them filled with delicious ricotta flavoured with Italian limoncello and topped with blueberries.
Happy Pancake Day, friends! I am almost as excited as my kids who can barely wait to get home from school and fill their bellies with warm and tasty pancakes.Will you be eating pancakes tonight as well?
I have to admit we haven’t always observed this tradition of Shrove Tuesday, the day before the great Lent begins but it’s such a big thing in England. EVERYONE, we know will be eating pancakes today. It didn’t take much convincing for us to jump on that bandwagon. And here we are as thrilled as ever in anticipation of mounds of pancakes for dinner.
I couldn’t miss this brilliant opportunity to share our favourite family crepe recipe aka Blini in Russian, filled with creamy farmer’s cheese Tvorog. I’ve written about this wonderful cheese before, it’s similar to Ricotta in texture but slightly more tangy than its Italian counterpart. I’ve combined cheese with whipping cream and a dash of Limoncello. Are you as obsessed with blueberries and lemons together? Such beauty I can barely stand it!
- Flour- 2 cups
- Buttermilk-3 1/2 cups
- Milk-1/2 cup
- Eggs-2 large
- Oil- 3 tbsp.
- Baking soda-1/2 tsp.
- Sugar-1 tbsp.
- Salt- 1 tsp.
For the cheese filling
- Farmer's cheese or Ricotta- 1 1/3 cup
- Whipping Cream- 1/2 cup
- Icing sugar- 2-3 tbsp.
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp.
- Limoncello- 1 tbsp.
- In a mixing bowl mix eggs, flour, 1 cup of buttermilk, baking soda, sugar and salt with a whisk.
- When the mixture is smooth and has no lumps add remaining buttermilk and milk. The consistency should be the same as of heavy cream. Let stand for 20 minutes. You should see small bubbles on the surface of your batter.
- Preheat your non-stick frying pan on medium heat and grease it with an odourless oil. ( I usually put some oil on a paper towel and rub the frying pan with it to ensure even coating.)
- With a ladle or a measuring cup pour 1/2 cup of batter in the pan and tilt the pan slightly so batter runs to the edges forming a thin and round crepe. Cook it until batter looks dry, then flip with a spatula and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove to a platter. Repeat with the next crepe and continue cooking until the batter is used.
- Stack the crepes on top of each other.
- In a food processor or a stand mixer combine cheese, whipping cream, icing sugar, vanilla and Limoncello until smooth.
- Fill each crepe with Limncello cheese filling and blueberries.