These carrot oatmeal muffins are soft and fluffy yet full of all the stuff that is good for your body. Grated carrots and whole rolled oats!
Take a look at our Flourless Oatmeal Muffin recipe while you are at it!
Muffins loaded with nutritious things have long been my breakfast of choice. I love them because they are made in advance.
All you have to do is grab and go!! I personally enjoy them as an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee.
Whenever my kids stop eating breakfast, I always employ my secret weapon.
These carrot muffins. Not only are they packed with vitamin and nutrient charged grated carrots, they are also made with whole rolled oats! My other favourite nutritious breakfast recipe is Spiced Pear Baked Oatmeal.
To make my favourite snack healthier I reduced the fat content and swapped brown sugar for the unrefined Demerara/Turbinado sugar.
I also used whole rolled oats for extra fibre and protein and added a streusel topping for a bit of a crunch.
Muffins and quick breads made with fruit or shredded vegetables turn out very moist. And these carrot muffins are no exception. Carrots also make them naturally sweet, so no need to add a lot of sugar.
I did add yogurt to the batter, which gave these muffins a fluffy, cake-like texture. Your kids will never know they are HEALTHY muffins.
Those white flecks you are seeing in the photo below are oats, that add extra fibre.
Feel free to add walnuts or pecans. Stirring in chopped pineapple or dried coconut will give these muffins a tropical twist.
More delicious muffin recipes:
- Zucchini Chocolate Muffins (Reduced Fat)
- Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Toffee Pumpkin Muffins
- Bakery Style Blackberry Muffins
This recipe was originally published in 01/2014. Updated and republished in 02/2021
Healthy Carrot Oatmeal Muffins
- 280g/2 cups flour
- 80g/1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200g/1 cup Demerara/Turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs large
- 65ml/1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 375ml/1 ½ cups plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots about 3 carrots
For the streusel topping
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp oats
- 3 tbsp Demerara sugar/Turbinado sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine sifted flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir in grated carrots and then add in dry ingredients to the bowl.
- In a small bowl combine butter, flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon for the streusel topping. It works best if you mix it with your fingers. The streusel topping mixture will resemble cookie dough.
- Divide muffin batter evenly among 12 muffins cups and top them with a teaspoon of streusel topping.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.