January is in full swing and I’ve seen at least 3 friends’ Facebook statuses announcing they are going on a week long juice cleanse.
That makes me feel uncomfortable, mostly because I just had a doctor’s check-up and she made me step on a scale. A week after the holiday!!
I am uncomfortable reading those updates because I know I need to be doing something to get back in shape, so here is the first step in the right direction.
Good for you Oatmeal and Carrot Muffins
How do I make healthy muffins?
I love muffins and if I am completely honest I would say they are a weakness of mine. I figured it’s within my power to make my favourite afternoon snack healthy.
I used Food Network Michael Smith’s recipe and adapted it by reducing fat content, swapping brown sugar for unrefined Demerara sugar and using whole rolled oats for extra fibre and protein.
How can I make my healthy muffins soft and moist?
Muffins and quick breads made with added fruit or shredded vegetables turn out very moist and these carrot muffins are no exception, however added yogurt gives them a fluffy cake-like texture and they are HEALTHY muffins.
More delicious muffin recipes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Demerara/Turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated carrots about 3
For the streusel topping
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. oats
- 3 tbsp. Demerara sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine sifted flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, oil, yogurt and vanilla.
- Stir in grated carrots and then add in dry ingredients to the bowl.
- In a small bowl combine butter, flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon for the streusel topping. It works best if you mix it with your fingers. The streusel topping mixture will resemble cookie dough.
- Divide muffin batter evenly among 12 muffins cups and top them with a teaspoon of streusel topping.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.