This blackberry fool is my favourite way to enjoy fresh blackberries in the summer. Layers of crushed blackberries, mixed with whipped cream, then topped with more whipped cream. It’s a fuss free berry parfait that is easy to pull off!
We pick blackberries from a field near our house, a family tradition each autumn. They are plentiful, small and tart. And of no real pedigree.
Wild blackberries are perfect for all sorts of desserts as well as savoury things. I actually love using them in savoury dishes because of their intense flavour and tartness.
One of my favourite savoury things to make with them is blackberry chilli lime salsa to top my fish tacos. It may sound odd but it’s delicious! Blackberries are also amazing in this spicy sauce that goes on top of a spatchcock chicken.
Blackberry Fool Recipe
What I love even more is eating them fresh! Plump, juicy and sweet they are a perfect finish to a summer meal or you can whip them up into this magnificent Blackberry Fool.
It takes less than 20 minutes to make but looks beautiful and impressive. Watch my video to see just how easy it is!
What is it?
That’s a funny name I have to admit but any fruit fool simply means a whipped cream based dessert with fresh or cooked fruit folded into it.
Originally fools were made using gooseberries but nowadays any seasonal fruit or berries can go into the creamy dessert.
How to Make Blackberry Fool Dessert
In this recipe the blackberries are crushed and layered in the glass. The first layer consists of blackberries alone. Add a little sugar if yours are not sweet enough.
Then blackberries are folded into vanilla flavoured whipped cream, and finally a layer of whipped cream with a blackberry on top. A simple thing made beautiful and delicious!
This dessert can be made a day in advance and refrigerated till needed.
Do you love berry desserts as much as we do?
Try our favourites!
This recipe was originally published in 07/2018. Updated with new text and video and republished in 06/2020.
- 200g/1 1/2 cups blackberries fresh
- 1 tbsp sugar optional
- 500ml/2 cups double cream/whipping cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Reserve 4-6 blackberries for decorating. In a small bowl crush blackberries with a fork or blend in a food processor. (You may add 1 tbsp of sugar to the blackberries if they are not sweet enough.)
- In a large bowl whip double/whipping cream with icing sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat as you want softly whipped cream.
- Divide whipping cream into equal parts. Take 1/3 of the mashed blackberries and fold gently into 1/2 of the whipped cream with a spatula.
- Have 4 serving glasses ready for layering the blackberry fool. Start by dividing the remaining mashed blackberries among 4 glasses. Then top with blackberry cream and finish with vanilla flavoured whipped cream.Decorate each Blackberry Fool with one or two blackberries. Serve immediately or keep chilled until serving.