Love a tuna melt? Then you’ll love this hot salmon sandwich with a mix of canned and smoked salmon plus oozing melted cheese on delicious crusty bread!
Make smoked salmon part of your breakfast with this stunning Eggs Benedict with Easy Hollandaise Sauce!
Quick and easy lunch options are a real treasure. It’s too easy to grab the same same things over and over, which means that anything that adds a bit of variety is worth holding on to.
A classic like a tuna melt is a great place to start, but that doesn’t mean we can’t take it to the next level! This Hot Cheesy Salmon Sandwich is exactly that, a beautifully elevated melt, that will make for the perfect lunch every time!
Why you’ll love this sandwich
A classic melt sandwich is popular for a reason. It’s simple to make but surprisingly delicious.
This version takes the basic approach used for tuna melts but elevates it by using affordable canned salmon, with smoked salmon to add even more complexity and depth. The combination is divine!
The salmon salad that acts as the main topping remains juicy and tender because it is cooked so quickly. The layer of sharp, melted cheddar on top provides a salty kick that finishes the salmon melt perfectly!
This salmon sandwich with melted cheese is rich and slightly decedent, which means that it goes best with a lighter side. My preference is a simple green salad.
To pair it with a slightly more interesting salad, try Summer Tomato Salad with Herbs or a lovely Creamy Dill Cucumber, Radish and Egg Salad.
It will also go well with a simple soup like Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup or classic Cream of Mushroom.
Recipe tips and notes
- Use sharp/aged cheddar to add a bit of tang to the sandwich. Other cheese varieties can be used, such as milder cheddar or mozzarella, but they will not bring the same taste to the sandwich.
- Choose a flavourful bread that is robust enough to hold together when topped with the salmon and cheese. Packaged white bread, for example, will fall apart while bakery bread is more likely to stand up to the challenge. I used sourdough.
- Smoked salmon can be omitted if it is too hard to find. But it adds such a lovely smokiness and elegant taste to the sandwich it would be a shame to go without it!
- This recipe can easily be made in an air fryer. It will still take about 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted.
Hot Cheesy Salmon Sandwich
- 212 g /7.5oz canned salmon drained, discard skin and bones
- 100 g / 3.5oz hot smoked salmon flaked
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1 small pickle (gherkin) or 1 tsp capers
- 25 g / ¼ cup celery (1 small rib) diced
- 1 tsp fresh dill
- 110 g / ½ cup mayonnaise I used low fat
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 50 g / ½ cup grated sharp cheddar such as aged cheddar
- 4 slices good quality bread
- Combine all ingredients other than cheese and bread in a bowl and combine, flaking the pieces of salmon so they are even sizes.
- Add the salmon mixture to slices of bread and cover with shredded cheese. Cook in a preheated oven with the broiler on for three minutes.
Leave a Reply