This strawberry galette comes together in a flash! Ripe and sweet strawberries are tossed with a bit of sugar and wrapped in flaky pastry. What could be better?!
For all strawberry fans out there take a look at our Rustic Strawberry and Cream Cheese Galette. It’s like a beautiful mashup of a strawberry pie and a cheesecake!
The strawberry season is upon us and besides eating them and adding them to my breakfast cereal, I love using them in summer desserts!
My Strawberry Cheesecake Vatrushka Buns are the taste of the childhood for me, and the best summer breakfast you can imagine. Over the years I’ve shared quite a few strawberry recipes on my website. Here are some of my favourites.
This Eton Mess Semifreddo is my take on the famous British strawberry, meringue and whipped cream pudding made into a frozen treat. No ice cream maker is needed. Very easy and refreshing in the heat of summer.
My no bake Strawberry Meringue Cheesecake is another great example of a summer dessert, that will keep you cool and happy!
If you are looking for a special occasion dessert, our Chocolate Strawberry Mousse Cake is it! Not terribly difficult to make but looks like it came from a fancy bakery!
The best thing is all those recipes use fresh, unprocessed strawberries! Summer goodness at its finest!
Strawberry Galette Recipe
I am a big fan of galettes as I love the rustic look of them plus they are so easy! This Yellow Plum and Blueberry Galette is one of my favourite things at the end of a summer meal.
Strawberries are perfect for a galette as they take very little time to cook in the oven. Because they don’t need pre-cooking, using them with pastry is a match made in heaven.
The pastry recipe I am sharing is very special. It’s light, crispy and flaky! It comes from one of my favourite Russian cookbooks Please to the Table by Anya von Bremzen.
I’ve adapted it slightly for my own taste. Sour cream makes this flaky pastry pleasantly tart, which contrasts nicely with the sweetness of a fruit filling in pies and galettes.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- This recipe makes 2 small galettes.
- Make sure you dry out the strawberries before slicing them and mixing them with sugar. Otherwise, you will end up with too much liquid, which will make your pastry soggy.
- Don’t forget to add the flour or cornstarch to the filling to keep the juices at bay.
- Use only full fat sour cream for the pastry for best results.
- The recipe calls for unsalted butter. If using salted butter, skip the salt in the recipe.
- Don’t forget to chill your pastry before shaping the galette!!
- Brushing the pastry folds with a beaten egg helps for the galette to stay together as it acts as glue. It also gives your pastry a gorgeous golden look.
- Allow your baked galettes to rest for 20-3o minutes for the juices to settle. Then serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
- The French love adding a dollop of creme fraiche to their pies, tarts and galettes for a wonderful contrast of the sweet and sour.
More summer fruit dessert recipes:
- Italian Plum Cobbler
- Crumb Apricot Cheesecake
- Wild Blackberry Pie
- Summer Peach Cake with Red Berries
This recipe was originally published in 07/2013. Updated and republished in 04/2021.
For the pastry
- 420g/3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- 200g/3/4 cup butter unsalted
- 200g/3/4 cup sour cream full fat
For the filling
- 1.5lbs/4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 100g/1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp flour or cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
- In a large bowl combine the flour and salt, add cold and cubed butter, and using a pastry blender, cut it into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the sour cream and work it into the mixture with your hands until it comes together. Knead briefly, divide into two balls, wrap them in plastic wrap and chill in a fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Dust your work surface with some flour and roll out your pastry 10″ in diameter. Wrap the pastry around the rolling pin and transfer it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the strawberries, cut the green ends off and slice them. In a large bowl combine the sliced strawberries, sugar, flour and vanilla, toss gently to combine.
- Arrange half of the sliced strawberries on the pastry leaving an inch wide border. Fold the border over the berries while brushing the pleats of pastry with a beaten egg to hold the pastry in place and also to give your galette a beautiful golden colour. Sprinkle the pastry with additional sugar if desired. Repeat the same process with another ball of pastry.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 min. Take both galettes out of the oven and let them rest for 20-30 minutes for the juices to settle before cutting and serving them.