Showcase your beautiful summer fruit in my Peach Cake with Red Berries. The buttery crumb and distinct almond flavour are what set this simple peach cake apart and take it to new heights!
If you love this summer cake with fresh fruit, check out my Naked Cake with Mascarpone Cream and Crushed Strawberries.
Are you enjoying all the fresh fruit and vegetables at the moment? I hope the answer is a unanimous YES!
My kids are currently eating their body weight in peaches and strawberries. Yes, strawberries are still in season in the UK.
You are probably wondering what I am doing baking in such heat! I know it seems a bit foolish but baking is a part of my job, and my kitchen is an extension to the house, so slightly removed from the living area.
Also, the joy of feeding this delicious peach cake to my kiddos, who finally finished school and are home for the summer, makes it all worth it.
Baking in the morning is perhaps the best solution to avoid overheating the house though.
What do I need for making a peach cake?
- This recipe uses only common pantry staples like flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and flavourings. I’ve also added ground almonds to the batter, which infuse the cake with a delicious nutty flavour and add moisture to the crumb.
- Peaches and berries although you can use almost any fruit you like.
- 9 inch springform pan lined with parchment paper for easy release.
Now let’s talk about this peach cake and why you need this recipe.
Tips for making this cake tender and moist
- First of all, the cake batter is a mix of plain flour and ground almonds, which gives this cake an incredible texture and flavour.
- Secondly, buttermilk is used to make this peach cake even more moist.
- Finally, the combination of ripe, juicy peaches and tart but flavourful red currants serves as a brilliant counterbalance to the sweet cake!
Doesn’t this sound great?!
How do I make easy peach cake?
This entire cake is made in a food processor. So all you need to do is to add the ingredients in the right order and push the ON button.
You can also use a hand blender or a stand mixer. It’s a very non-fussy recipe!
This peach cake is that easy. I promise.
What fruit and berries can I use in a cake?
You can customise this peach cake recipe according to your taste and availability.
Stone fruit like nectarines, apricots or plums will work brilliantly in place of peaches.
And feel free to substitute red currants for any berries you love, raspberries work especially well as you see me use them in the video.
For more summer dessert recipes check out:
Finally I would love to see your creations. If you make my Summer Peach Cake with Red Currants, tag @vikalinka in your Instagram posts, so I could see them!
Originally published in 07/2018. Updated with new text and video in 08/2019
- 200g/1 ⅔ cup plain flour
- 150g/1 ¼ cup ground almonds
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 200g/1cup sugar
- 175g/3/4cup very soft butter
- 140ml/1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 3 ripe peaches stone removed and sliced
- 70g/1cup berries like raspberries, red currants, blueberries, etc for baking
- 70g/1 cup red berries for decorating
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease an 9 inch pan with butter and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine plain flour, ground almonds, sugar, salt, baking powder and pulse briefly to combine.
- Add very soft butter and pulse again until blended. Then add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and almond extracts and blend until smooth for about 1 minute. You will have sticky batter.
- Remove stones from peaches and slice. Wash the berries and let them dry.
- Pour ½ of the batter into the prepared pan, then scatter half of the berries, top with the remaining batter and smooth the top.
- Arrange the sliced peaches around the diameter of the pan, then place the remaining berries on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 60-70 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then run a knife around the side of the pan to release the cake remove from the pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Top with fresh berries and dust with icing sugar before serving.