This yellow plum and blueberry galette is so much easier to make than a traditional pie and tastes just as good! Use a store-bought pie crust to make this a snap to bring together!
This galette will be amazing accompanied by Pistachio Ice Cream!
Like many great recipes, this one was created out of necessity. In my case, it was the need to use up a punnet of yellow plums that I had in the house a bit too long.
They looked so beautiful and so appealing when I bought them. But after a few days in the fruit basket remained hard as a rock and quite sour. It’s a typical problem for winter fruit shipped from who knows where.
The solution was a galette, a personal favourite of mine. They are very easy to throw together and seem to provide a more balanced pie crust to filling ratio than a traditional pie.
I’ve made many galette recipes over the years. Rustic Strawberry and Cream Cheese is a reader favourite and always a great choice. Or try something different like Savoury Galette with Grilled Eggplant and Roasted Red Peppers, over on The Veg Connection!
While a homemade pie crust recipe is still the gold standard, I am a believer that a good quality store bought crust absolutely has a place. It’s just so much easier to use a prepared crust than to make one. Especially when the recipe you are making is supposed to be simple!
If you feel inspired to make your own pie crust, don’t worry! Check out my Wild Blueberry Pie recipe for a stunning recipe that is very popular in my house.
I also paired plums with blueberries to liven up the flavours. Blueberries have an amazing way of bringing a softness to flavour that matches so well with ripe fruit. A personal favourite of mine!
Such an easy and beautiful treat to enjoy after dinner. Or perhaps on a quiet afternoon with your cup of tea and a friend. Life couldn’t get any better than that!
Recipe tips and tricks
- If you have a real sweet tooth you might want to increase the sugar amount for this plum and blueberry galette but it was perfect for me.
- You can continue cooking the syrup from the plums until they are reduced in volume and look like a jam. Use it as a vanilla flavoured homemade plum spread for your morning toast.
- The plums I used were not ripe. That meant the only way to make sure blueberries and plums had the same texture once the galette is done was to pre-cook plums. This step can be left out if using ripe plums.
Yellow Plum and Blueberry Galette
- 15 yellow plums
- 150g/1 cup blueberries
- 25g/1/4 cup sugar plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 70ml/1/4 cup water
- 500g/18 oz prepared pie crust your favourite recipe or pre-made
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat your oven to 400F/200C.
- In a saucepan combine plums, split in half and pits removed, sugar, vanilla and water. Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes or until the plums are tender. The length of this step will depend on how hard your plums are, if they are ripe feel free to skip this step. Remove the plums from the pan to a plate and let them cool.
- Meanwhile dust your work surface with some flour and roll out your pastry 12" in diameter. Wrap the pastry around the rolling pin and transfer it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange your plums cut side down and blueberries attractively on the the pastry leaving an inch wide border filling free.
- Fold the border over the fruit while brushing the pleats of pastry with a beaten egg to hold the pastry in place and also to give your galette a beautiful golden colour. Sprinkle the pastry with additional sugar if desired. Bake in the oven for 25-30 min.