This creamy pasta is bursting with Mediterranean flavours of sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, garlic basil and zucchini cooked to golden perfection. Delicious vegetarian pasta dinner that doesn’t lack anything!
If you like the taste of the Mediterranean, try our Spanish Chicken and Rice with Shrimp aka Paella.
It seems that I accidentally stumbled on another winner while on my unending quest for a quick midweek meal. Do you also call upon pasta recipes when a speedy and not fussy dinner is necessary?
It’s often my go-to solution to all woes and problems. People should eat more carbs and perhaps then, world peace would become more of a reality.
What ingredients are in Mediterranean pasta recipe?
Absolutely everyone in the family enjoys this Mediterranean pasta and just wait till I tell you what is in it. Kalamata olives, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, parsley, garlic and a summer’s favourite zucchini cooked to golden perfection.
What sauce can I use in zucchini pasta?
I originally published this recipe in 2014 and it became popular very quickly. However, one thing people asked for is the sauce. Mediterranean pasta with zucchini had none in its first version.
Good news for all sauce lovers! I listened and updated the recipe featuring a creamy sauce with a sun-dried tomato, garlic and basil flavours.
How can I incorporate protein into vegetarian pasta?
Don’t get me wrong this vegetarian Mediterranean pasta is delicious as is. The most surprising thing is that my kids only like pasta out of all ingredients here but they LOVED this vegetarian pasta. Loved, loved, loved it.
However, it could be easily modified for meat lovers. Adding chicken breasts, shrimp or scallops can turn this pasta into a heartier fare. It is also very easy and quick to do. You can even use already cooked rotisserie chicken from your local supermarket!
Apart from its delicious flavour this mediterranean pasta barely takes any time to throw together and even less skill. All the best flavours of summer in one pan. What could be better!
Quick, easy, delicious and just a few dishes to wash up afterwards. I tell ya it’s a true winner.
What can I serve with Vegetarian Mediterranean Pasta?
If you are looking to round off this meal, I would suggest making my Tuscan Panzanella Salad. And this Prosciutto Wrapped Creamy Pesto Chicken Parcels will add an elegant touch to your table if you are hosting a dinner party!
More Mediterranean recipes:
- Italian Chicken Cacciatore
- Greek Orzo Salad
- Italian Rosemary Chicken Recipe
- Spanish Chicken in Bravas Sauce
- Basil Pesto Caprese Salad
Recipe originally published in 08/2014. Updated and republished in 07/2019
Mediterranean Pasta with Zucchini
- 1 lbs pasta spirali, rigatoni or any other short pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 zucchini- medium quartered and sliced 1/2" thick
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 15g/1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 80g/1/3 cup Kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp capers
- 250ml/1 cup double/heavy cream
- 50g/1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 125ml/1/2 cup stock
- 6 leaves fresh basil, slices
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto or tomato paste
- Set a large pot of water on a stove, bring to a boil, add salt and pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook seasoned with salt sliced zucchini until lightly golden on both sides. Remove zucchini to a separate plate.
- To the pan add minced garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives and capers and quickly cook over low heat for 20-30 seconds. Then pour in double/heavy cream, Parmesan cheese and stock, fresh basil and parsley, sun-dried tomato paste or tomato paste if using, turn the heat up and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Drain cooked pasta and add directly to the pan with the sauce, add cooked zucchini and toss until the pasta is coated with the sauce. Taste and add more salt ff needed.