You will want to have this creamy pesto chicken wrapped in prosciutto recipe in your back pocket for those times when things should be fancy but you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen!
So the summer is actually over. I mean officially and unofficially.
And although I can still wear by summer dress with a light denim jacket, the leaves are turning yellow and red and once that happens there is no fooling anyone.
I also know it’s over because my kids are already asking where we are going next summer.
Please don’t stone me but I secretly love this weather. We are still enjoying the fresh produce from the summer and although there is a slight nip in the air, it’s nothing that a light jacket or a blanket won’t fix.
The meals are becoming cozier, and I am so relieved at the chance to hide some bits of me under a sweater.
Now let’s look at this creamy pesto chicken. It’s pretty lean and healthy on the outside but there is a bit of naughty cream cheese with a hint of pesto hiding in a little pocket and a promise of bliss at the first bite!
How to Make this Pesto Chicken Recipe
If you are even a little worried about pulling this pesto chicken recipe off, let me assure you that it is in fact really simple.
All you need to do is to cut a pocket into your chicken breast, fill it with a bit of flavoured cream cheese and wrap it up like a bandage with prosciutto slices.
What is so incredibly cool about this recipe that it’s easy and quick enough to make on a weeknight but it tastes so indulgent that it will not look out of place at a dinner party!
I have used smoked prosciutto slices to wrap those babies up for extra flavour but feel free to use bacon if you wish like this recipe.
I am not going to lie – some recipes I post require a grownup tastes like Coq au Vin here but this creamy pesto chicken is going to be a favourite with kids and adults alike.
Mine scarfed it down within minutes and asked for more!
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 4-8 prosciutto slices depending on the size on chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese with basil pesto and set aside.
- With a sharp knife cut a pocket into the thickest part of a chicken breast, season with salt and pepper, then fill each pocket with approximately 1 tbsp of cream cheese and pesto mixture.
- Wrap one or two prosciutto slices around each chicken breast making sure the area filled with cream cheese is thoroughly covered. Put the chicken parcels onto a medium baking tray and arrange tomatoes on the vine between them.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.