This spinach pesto recipe is absolutely chock full of vitamins! Made with fresh spinach, cilantro, parsley, garlic and walnuts. It’s not basil pesto’s pale cousin but a dangerous rival!
If you are a pesto lover, check out my basil pesto recipe!
Spinach Pesto Recipe
If you are a regular pesto eater, you know that the original pesto recipe is made of crushed basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and olive oil with an addition of of lemon juice and garlic.
The recipe I am so excited to share with you today follows the same formula but utilizes slightly different ingredients.
Spinach Pesto Recipe with Walnuts
We are using spinach, parsley and cilantro as our green base, then adding walnuts and extra virgin olive oil for creaminess. What also contributes to much flavour is a combination of garlic, salt, red chilli flakes, red wine vinegar and lemon juice. This recipe is not using Parmesan or any other cheese and is suitable for vegans.
The result is off the charts on the deliciousness scale. It’s fresh, zesty, full of flavour and packing a whopping amount of nutrients. Popeye was onto something in his spinach loving ways!
It is also lighter than a traditional pesto since the recipe is not using any cheese and a smaller amount of olive oil. The spinach and herbs contribute so much flavour, no cheese is needed!
How do you make spinach pesto?
It’s very easy to make pesto at home if you own a food processor or a blender. It’s still easy to make pesto at home even if you don’t. Old-fashioned mortar and pestle work just fine.
If you do own a blender or a food processor, just add spinach, flat leaf parsley and cilantro with stems, garlic clove or two, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and chilli flakes and blend until smooth. Easy!
How can I use pesto sauce in cooking?
Excellent question! I am glad you asked because the possibilities are endless. Here are just a few ideas of how to utilise this delicious and healthy sauce in cooking.
- pasta sauce
- spread on chicken and fish before cooking
- pasta salad
- potato salad
- sandwich or wrap spread
- salad dressing (Just thin it out with water or yogurt for a creamy and delicious salad dressing)
- steak sauce
Do you have a favourite way of using pesto? Share in comments!!
Recipes using pesto:
- Baked Shells with Pesto, Mozzarella and Meat Sauce
- Bacon Wrapped Fish with Pesto
- Prosciutto Wrapped Creamy Pesto Chicken Parcels
- Pesto Caprese Salad
- Whipped Feta and Ricotta Dip with Pistachio Pesto
- French Pressed Sandwich Bites with Pesto
- 200g/6 1/2cups fresh spinach
- 90g/3/4cup walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 10g/1/2cup flat leaf parsley with stems
- 10g/1/2cup cilantro with stems
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 75ml/1/3cup olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth. Add salt to taste. If using a blender, it helps to use a tamper to process a large amount of spinach.