Tender and juicy fish fillet smothered in vibrant sun-dried tomato pesto and wrapped in bacon. This baked fish recipe calls for four ingredients and delivers BIG results!
Are you a white fish lover? Take a look at my Cod Roasted in Mustard Sauce.
When it comes to planning my family dinners I often take inspiration from my international students.
Most of them have no idea their English teacher is a food blogger on weekends. So I get the real scoop on their dining preferences undetected. One food item that comes up over and over again is fish.
My Mediterranean students often wonder why a nation, that lives on an island, eats so little fish. I can’t give them a good reason if I am honest.
Their 3-4 times a week fish consumption compared to ours is much higher and we all know is far healthier.
I go home feeling more resolute to include more fish into our diet. Now the next hurdle is to come up with delicious fish recipes and convince my family.
Baked Fish Recipe
Combining fish and bacon is not something that immediately comes to mind although it is by all accounts a winning pairing even fish reluctant eaters will love.
I added a thin layer of sun-dried tomato pesto between the fish fillet and the bacon for extra flavour. The pesto also adds more moisture, that will prevent your fish from drying out in the oven.
Bacon wrapped fish is the quickest dinner to throw together, that only requires 4 ingredients! What makes this fish recipe absolutely outstanding is the quality ingredients of course, beautiful basa or cod fillets and smoked streaky bacon.
How to bake fish
The preparation process takes about 10 minutes plus about 17-18 minutes in the oven at 200C/400F. The time in the oven depends on the size of your fish fillets, which are 120g-130g/4oz-5oz on average.
I also add a couple of vines of cherry tomatoes for a quick roast. Their flavour plays well with the sun-dried tomato pesto in the fish
I use the oven time to throw together a simple green salad. My dinner is ready in under half hour and it is a HUGE WINNER!
More fish recipe to try:
- Fish tacos with Blackberry Chilli Lime Salsa
- Salmon Fishcakes with Creamy White Wine Sauce
- Baked Salmon with Rose Cream Sauce
Recipe originally published in 06/2016. Updated with new text and republished in 02/2020
- 4 cod or basa fillets or any other white fish
- 12 strips of smoked streaky bacon
- 4 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 vines of cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Salt and pepper the fish and spread 1 tbsp of sun-dried tomato pesto per fillet. Wrap 2-3 strips of streaky bacon around each fish fillet and sprinkle with black pepper.
- Arrange on a tray big enough to fit the fish fillets and 2 vines of cherry tomatoes without them touching each other.
- Bake in the oven for 14 minutes, then turn your oven to grill/broil and cook for 3 minutes further or until the bacon is crispy and the tomatoes slightly charred.