Bacon and cheese, wrapped in golden flaky puff pastry, make the most amazing savoury turnover, especially when served with our homemade honey mustard sauce!
Add our cauliflower cheese soup for a delicious and satisfying lunch.
Soup and sandwich are a great combo but I think I can improve on that! What about soup and a homemade savoury turnover?
Flaky pastry is one of those things where freshness is everything. That is why homemade is often better simply because it’s fresh! Good news is these turnovers take less than 30 minutes to make.
These pastries are filled with bacon and cheese. Simple and effective. The bacon cooks inside while the cheese melts and covers the bacon like a delicious cheesy blanket.
You can definitely use ham instead of cheese. I’ve tried both and I honestly prefer bacon. Another delicious addition is asparagus. Just take a look at these Ham and Cheese Asparagus Puffs!
And of course, if you are in the mood for a sweet treat, go for our Apple Turnovers.
Recipes Tips and Notes
- Using ready-rolled puff pastry is a huge time saver, so if you can source it, go for it! In the UK puff pastry comes in pre-rolled sheets ¼ inch thick. If you are in the US, make sure yours is thin enough before you assemble the turnovers.
- I used smoked back bacon as I didn’t want it too be too fatty since puff pastry is already full of butter. I also cut away a thick strip of fat off each bacon slice and trimmed the slices to fit the pastry squares.
- Cheddar cheese melts beautifully and adds great flavour to these turnovers. However, any cheese that melts well, could be used in this recipe.
- Use either cheese slices or grated cheese.
- It’s very important to pinch the corners of the turnovers very well and use beaten egg to hold them together. Otherwise, turnovers will unravel in the oven and the cheese will leak out.
- Although not necessary, I added honey mustard sauce to this recipe. These turnovers are delicious when dipped into the sauce.
Favourite Puff Pastry Recipes to Try:
- Chorizo Sausage Rolls
- Puff Pastry Pizza Margherita
- Salmon en Croute (Salmon Wellington)
- Caramelised Onion and Boursin Tarts
Bacon and Cheese Turnover
- 320g/11 oz puff pastry I used ready rolled
- 6 slices smoked back bacon
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
For the Honey Mustard Sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½-1 tsp white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F. On a floured surface roll out the puff pastry into a ¼ inch thick rectangle or leave it as it is if using ready-rolled pastry. Then cut into 6 equal size squares. Lay down slices of bacon diagonally (they will need to be cut down to size, see photos for reference), top with a slice of cheese or 2 tbsp of grated cheese.
- Bring one corner of the puff pastry over and brush the tip of it with a beaten egg, then fold the opposite corner, so it overlaps, press down with a fork to seal. Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet 2 inches apart, brush the top of the pastries with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- While the turnovers are baking, prepare the honey mustard sauce by mixing the honey, mustard, mayonnaise and white wine vinegar in small bowl. Serve with the turnovers.
Leave a Reply