This puff pastry pizza recipe is for those times when you need a quick pizza fix. Using pre-made puff pastry significantly reduces the prep and cooking time while delivering a classic pizza taste! On the table in 30 minutes flat!
Looking for more of a challenge? Try this recipe for a fantastic pizza crust using simple yeasted dough!
When my kids were still little, I once foolishly promised to them that every Friday night would be Pizza Night. And by Pizza Night I meant homemade Pizza Night.
I have no idea what got into me to make such a promise as we all know making pizza from scratch takes some preparation and time. And to make pizza every Friday takes commitment!
I had to figure out some shortcuts along the way, which is how I came to this pizza recipe that takes no longer than 30 minutes from start to finish! So if you want to spoil your little ones, it won’t cost you much.
How do you make quick pizza?
Without a doubt the lengthiest part of the pizza making is the dough. And although it doesn’t take very long to mix it up, it takes a while to wait for it to rise.
My secret to making a quick pizza is using a pre-made puff pastry. I know it tastes slightly differently but hear me out…
Using pre-made puff pastry means that someone else has done the hard work. Just roll it out, add the toppings and your work is done. And although it has a different texture than traditional pizza dough, it still tastes fantastic!
The trick for using puff pastry as your pizza base is to roll it out as thinly as possible and prick the pastry with a fork all over to prevent it from puffing up. The end result tastes so delicious, no one will complain!
Quick pizza sauce recipe
Next we need to make a 1 minute pizza sauce. That’s more than a name, that’s how long it actually takes!
Just stir in 1 tablespoon of olive oil into 1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes or tomato passata, sprinkle in some dried oregano, a handful of chopped fresh basil leaves and a pinch of salt. That is it.
Preheat your oven to 400F/200C. Roll out your puff pastry on a floured surface ¼″ thick. Don’t worry about making it perfectly round. Then transfer it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Spread the tomato sauce on your puff pastry pizza base, scatter shredded mozzarella all over, then fill the gaps with fresh basil leaves. Margherita pizza is done.
If you wish to make pepperoni pizza, add some pepperoni on top of the mozzarella cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
The easiest, quickest and tastiest treat ever! My kids had no idea it was made with puff pastry and not regular pizza dough. It is 1000 times better than frozen pizza!
This is a very controversial topic. I am inclined to say anything you love can work on a pizza BUT chicken. Pizza experts and my personal experience tell me that it’s impossible to top pizza with chicken without drying it out.
The reason for it is chicken is a delicate meat and pizza is baked at a very high temperature. Those two just don’t jive.
Salami is another matter entirely. It loves pizza and we love it on pizza! Another family favourite is Italian prosciutto or Parma Ham Pizza. A word of caution…top your pizza with thin slices of prosciutto after it’s been baked, not before!
Mushrooms, pepperoni, red, green and yellow bell peppers, artichokes, olives, grilled zucchini and eggplant are wonderful and traditional pizza toppings.
What are your favourite pizza toppings? Tell me in comments!
Recipe tips and notes
- Puff pastry should be used chilled, so avoid taking it out early or letting it get to room temperature. Using warmed puff pastry will cause the pastry to wilt and will prevent the layers form separating. If you feel that the pastry is too warm, simply return it to your fridge to cool down.
- For the best puff pastry, check that it is made with all butter. Butter results in flakier, better tasting pastry than other varieties.
- Roll out the pastry as thinly as possible and prick all over with a fork to prevent it from puffing up. Don’t be too concerned with getting a perfectly round shape!
- I’ve used shredded mozzarella because its the simplest option, but fresh mozzarella is also wonderful on pizza. Drain any liquid and shred with your hands, placing the pieces as evenly as you can across the pizza.
Leftovers and storage
It’s not likely that you’ll have leftovers after making this pizza. But if you do they can be refrigerated in an airtight container and kept for up to four days. Don’t put away until it has cooled to room temperature, which shouldn’t take long.
Leftovers can be warmed up in an oven preheated to 180C/350F for about 8 minutes. Take time off if you like a softer crust.
The microwave is also an option, but I’ve learned to love pizza warmed in an air fryer, especially if only warming a couple of pieces. It should only take 3-4 minutes depending on the air fryer.
Puff Pastry Margherita Pizza
- 375g/13oz pre-made puff pastry
- 250g/1cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato passata
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsbp chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g/1cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 5-7 spiced salami or pepperoni slices optional
- Flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C
- Stir in 1 tbsp. of olive oil in your crushed tomatoes, sprinkle in some dried oregano and chopped fresh basil leaves with a pinch of salt.
- Divide your puff pastry and roll out each ball on a floured surface ¼" thick, prick them with a fork all over, then transfer them a parchment paper lined baking sheets. (If using pre-rolled puff pastry sheets, feel free to keep them whatever shape they came in but they might need to be rolled out thinner.)
- Then spread the pizza sauce on your pizza base, scatter mozzarella cheese all over, then fill the gaps with fresh basil leaves. If using salami or pepperoni, place the slices on top of mozzarella.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly. You can bake both pizzas at the same time if your oven is large enough or one after another.
- This puff pastry pizza recipe makes two 9 inch thin crust pizzas.
- This recipe will feed 2 as a main course or 16 as an appetizer.