This delicious soup is a clever crossover between your favourite creamy gnocchi pasta and a soothing and comforting chicken noodle soup. The best of two worlds!
When I asked you, my readers, what recipes you want to see this year, so many of you replied with a “soup”! I am so pleased to hear it as soup is definitely the language of my heart.
I grew up eating it daily and often crave a steaming bowl of soup on a bitterly cold day.
My family is divided on the soup situation. The men love it. But there is one little lady, who is not a fan. However, this creamy chicken bacon gnocchi soup changed her mind! And made discover something new about my girl! She loves creamy and chunky soups!
Creamy Soup Recipes
If you have a soup hater in your family, entice them with a cream based soup. It made a world of difference for my daughter.
However, my favourite will remain a thick and luscious homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup.
Recipe Top Tips
This recipe produces a very thick and chunky soup that is a creamy pasta and soup rolled into one. It is definitely suitable a main course for dinner or just have a smaller portion for lunch!
It uses heavy cream and roux, butter and flour mixture, to thicken it as well as potato gnocchi, which release their starch into the soup as they cook.
You can use single cream, half and half or even whole milk if you are after reducing calories. Personally, I would just choose a broth based soup like my Italian Wedding Soup instead. I say use double or single cream or go home!
My biggest tip it to use fresh vegetables instead of a frozen mix for the base of your soup. So much flavour comes from those. You will also appreciate the texture in the finished product so much more!
I’ve used raw chicken breasts but you can use leftover chicken for this soup as well. Or even smoked sausage like kielbasa would work here.
Fresh or frozen gnocchi will work equally well in this soup. You can see in the photos that I used a frozen variety, which do not need to be thawed before cooking Both cook very quickly. You can also replace gnocchi with short pasta like shells or bowties or elbow macaroni.
More Cozy Soup Recipes:
- 100g/4-5 strips bacon chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1.5 litres/6 cups chicken stock
- 3 (1.5 lbs) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lbs gnocchi fresh or frozen
- 100g/ 3 cups kale chopped
- 125ml/1/2 cup double/heavy cream
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- Cook the bacon until the fat is rendered, discard all fat but 2 tbsp. To the same pot with bacon add chopped onions, carrots and celery and thyme and sauté over low heat for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 30 seconds longer.
- Pour in the chicken stock, stir to combine. Add the chicken breasts and a pinch of salt,cook for 30-35 minutes, then take the chicken out, shred and return back to the pot. Add the gnocchi and kale or spinach. Cook for 3 minutes, then add in the cream.
- To make the roux, which will thicken the soup, mix the melted butter with flour, then stir into the soup, allow it to simmer for a couple of minutes until the soup thickens. Season with salt to taste.