I keep coming to this Chilli Salmon Mee Goreng whenever I am short on time. Rice noodles fried with an array of aromatic spices and flavoured with soy sauce and ketjap manis, then tossed with lovely vegetables. It’s such an incredible time saver!
If you love this recipe, try my Indonesian Fried Rice Nasi Goreng.
Cooking healthy, nutritious dinners for my family is something I am very passionate about. I believe in developing healthy eating habits early on will set my kids up for life.
But what to do when days get a bit too busy for long and involved meal prep? Some days a takeaway seems to be the only solution but I can’t afford it every night when I am too busy to cook, nor do I want to!
So this recipe for Mee Goreng that I am sharing today is my attempt to replace that coveted takeaway. Unlike takeaway though it’s good for you, very quick to make and has all the Asian flavours we crave!
Making the recipe
I’ve been looking for ways to bring more fish into our diet. But the fish I’ve been most successful with is salmon!
It’s meaty and has all the healthy fats our bodies need. And my kids don’t complain as much when they see salmon on their plates. It’s a clear winner.
For this recipe, all I did was to throw vegetables and noodles together with seasoning while the salmon was in the oven and all of sudden I felt like ‘that pressure’ was gone!
The vegetables are stir fried with paste in oil, which gives this dish a great base of flavour. Noodles and sauces are added for a bit more stir frying, and it is pretty much done.
I got dinner on the table in 28 minutes! Then I was able to sit down to this beautiful and delicious homemade Salmon Mee Goreng with my kids and listen to them chattering about school and friends without feeling overwhelmed!
Recipe tips and tricks
- Pat dry the salmon fillets with a paper towel before cooking to prevent them from becoming mushy.
- This recipe can be made with a wide range of vegetables. Bok choy, sugar snap peas, baby corn and carrots will all work great, so go with whatever is available and in season.
- Garnish with sesame seeds to complete the look.
Chilli Salmon Mee Goreng (Fried Noodles)
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- 250 g /2 cups mixed vegetables baby corn, carrot ribbons, bok choy, zucchini, sugar snap peas, etc.
- 100 g /3.5oz rice noodles
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp ketjap manis sweet and thick soy sauce
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 2-3 sprigs fresh coriander/cilantro chopped
- black and white sesame seeds optional
- Prepare the salmon by following the Asian Salmon Recipe.
- While the salmon is cooking prepare the fried noodles with vegetables. Boil a pot of water for noodles and make sure all vegetables are peeled and cut to proper size or use a pre-cut stir fry mix for convenience.
- In a large pan or a wok heat the vegetable oil and add the onion and garlic and fry on medium heat until golden for approximately 1 minute, add chilli paste and fry for 10 seconds longer, stirring the entire time, add the vegetables and cook on high heat while stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked and rinsed rice noodles, then add ground coriander, soy sauce, ketjap manis and stir to combine, then spread the noodles over the pan and let them fry for a minute or so, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Take the salmon out of the oven. Serve the fried noodles topped with glazed salmon. Sprinkle with black and white sesame seeds and chopped coriander/cilantro and spring onions if desired.