Shake up your lunch routine with this delicious Farro Salad!!
Another summer week, another salad recipe but trust me this farro salad is not JUST another salad. I’ve discovered the farro grain a couple of years ago and I was instantly smitten with its earthy taste. I am a huge fan of adding healthy grains to my salads to give them more substance and nutritious value. So it’s no wonder I would want more variety apart from quinoa. I mix it up all the time by using different things like millet, buckwheat, lentils, beans, and quinoa. They make salads so satisfying and loaded with extra nutrients!
This farro salad is no exception. Brad’s been so happy taking it to work for his lunches and then raving about it. I consider that a personal victory since Brad loves his meat and this salad is quite meatless yet very filling and extremely satisfying.
Apart from farro this recipe consists of very normal, everyday ingredients like tomatoes, cucumbers and onions, except that I replaced cucumber with zucchini ribbons. I quite like using new crop tiny zucchini raw in the summer. They are so crunchy and fresh! You might think them tasteless, which could be the case if they are not properly flavoured, but they also become absolutely delicious at the touch of a well-made vinaigrette, which brings me to my next point.
French Vinaigrette might sound posh but in reality it’s the simplest thing ever! I’ve stopped buying bottled dressings years ago. When we first moved to the UK I couldn’t find any salad dressings I was used to, so I gave up and started making my own. What I discovered is that salads with homemade dressings taste miles better, are cheaper and better for you since you know exactly what’s in there! I usually double or even triple the recipe I am sharing today, change it up weekly by adding different combination of herbs and store it in a jam jar in the fridge, which lasts us about one week.
Another great this about this farro salad is the vegetable combination is limitless! You can add bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, quite literally anything your heart desires! Feta cheese is also an excellent addition to this salad!
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp fresh or dried herbs of your choice (optional)
- 1 can (14oz/400g) white beans, butter beans or cannellini beans, drained
- 2 cups/200g farro, cooked
- 1 small zucchini, shaved into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 6-7 red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp capers
- 5-6 Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, sliced
- salt to taste
- Cook the farro grain according to package instructions, drain and cool.
- In a large bowl combine all the French vinaigrette ingredients, mix with a whisk until the dressing is emulsified, then add the beans and cooled farro, let it sit for 10-15 minutes for the ingredients to absorb the flavour of the vinaigrette.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and mix gently until combined.
- Add more salt if needed.