This recipe for tortellini in cream sauce, flavoured with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, is quick and easy. A delicious dinner you can whip up in 20 minutes!
Serve with Roasted Parmesan Broccoli with Garlic and Sun-dried Tomatoes. Or explore out Italian Recipe collection for more ideas.
I’ve been slacking this week, at least in the grocery shopping department. My kids have been off school which completely throws off my usual routine…in a very good way.
That being said, by Friday I was forced to get very creative with our meals due to the lack of many food choices in the kitchen.
There were just no usual lunch ingredients in the fridge and 2 very hungry children. Luckily, there was a package of Spinach and Ricotta tortellini stashed away.
Easy Tortellini Recipe
As a result, we ended up with a very tasty dish that was done in 20 minutes flat and with a very few ingredients. Fresh tortellini take 2 minutes to cook after the water boils. And the sauce comes together in the amount of time it takes for tortellini to cook.
This makes this sauce about as easy a way to get dinner on the table as you will find. Grab a package of pre-made tortellini from your local supermarket, whip up the sauce, you have dinner ready to go!
What sauce to serve
The sauce itself is delicious and complements tortellini in the most beautiful way. It’s a combination of a basic tomato sauce and cream and because it only lightly coats the tortellini instead of tortellini “swimming” in the sauce, the dish is also comparatively low-cal.
Only 1 tbsp. of cream per serving, you put more than that in your morning coffee!
So here you have it-quick, inexpensive and not too heavy while still leaving you feeling like you’ve just indulged in a bowl of luxurious, creamy pasta.
More Sun-Dried Tomato Recipes
- Tuscan Salmon with Parmesan Cream Sauce with Basil and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Mixed Olive Tapenade with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Feta
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- Broccoli Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Parmesan
Tortellini with Sun-dried Tomatoes in Cream Sauce
- 250g/1/2 lbs Tortellini with any filling you love
- 1 tbsp Olive oil from sun-dried tomatoes
- 4-5 Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 cloves Garlic pressed
- 4 tbsp Crushed tomatoes or Tomato Passata
- 125ml/ ½ cup Double cream/Heavy cream
- 50g/ ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 Fresh Basil leaves
- Cook tortellini in a large pot of salted water according to package directions.
- While tortellini are cooking, slice sun-dried tomatoes and crush garlic. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes in a pan over medium heat and add sun-dried tomatoes and garlic to it, cook for a couple of minutes while stirring without colouring garlic. Add the tomato passata or crushed tomatoes and sliced basil leaves and stir for a couple of minutes, then pour in the cream and stir to blend. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over top and stir until incorporated into the sauce.
- Drain cooked tortellini while reserving ½ cup of water they were cooked in. Add tortellini to the pan, stir gently until coated with the sauce. Then add in approximately 3 tbsp of reserved water until desired consistency, stir gently until combined. Taste and salt if needed. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.