This recipe for tortellini in cream sauce, flavoured with sun-dried tomatoes and basil, is quick and easy. A delicious dinner you can whip up in 20 minutes!
Serve with Roasted Parmesan Broccoli with Garlic and Sun-dried Tomatoes. Or explore out Italian Recipe collection for more ideas.
I’ve been slacking this week, at least in the grocery shopping department. My kids have been off school which completely throws off my usual routine…in a very good way.
That being said, by Friday I was forced to get very creative with our meals due to the lack of many food choices in the kitchen.
There were just no usual lunch ingredients in the fridge and 2 very hungry children. Luckily, there was a package of Spinach and Ricotta tortellini stashed away.
Easy Tortellini Recipe
As a result, we ended up with a very tasty dish that was done in 20 minutes flat and with a very few ingredients. Fresh tortellini take 2 minutes to cook after the water boils. And the sauce comes together in the amount of time it takes for tortellini to cook.
What sauce to serve
The sauce itself is delicious and complements tortellini in the most beautiful way. It’s a combination of a basic tomato sauce and cream and because it only lightly coats the tortellini instead of tortellini “swimming” in the sauce, the dish is also comparatively low-cal.
Only 1 tbsp. of cream per serving, you put more than that in your morning coffee!
So here you have it-quick, inexpensive and not too heavy while still leaving you feeling like you’ve just indulged in a bowl of luxurious, creamy pasta.
More Sun-Dried Tomato Recipes:
- Tuscan Salmon with Parmesan Cream Sauce with Basil and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Mixed Olive Tapenade with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Feta
- Tortelloni with Creamy Tomato Sauce and Spinach
- Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta with Chicken
- 250g/1/2 lbs Tortellini with any filling you love
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 4-5 Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 cloves Garlic pressed
- 2 tbsp Crushed tomatoes or Tomato Passata
- 2 tbsp Single cream/Half and Half
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 Fresh Basil leaves
- Cook tortellini in a large pot of salted water according to package directions.
- While tortellini are cooking, slice sun-dried tomatoes and garlic.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add sun-dried tomatoes and garlic to it, cook for a couple of minutes while stirring without colouring garlic.
- Drain cooked tortellini while reserving ½ cup of water they were cooked in.
- Add tortellini to the pan, add crushed tomatoes or passata, whichever you are using, cream, approximately 3 tbsp. of reserved water to get the sauce a bit more loose, stir gently to combined for 1-2 minutes.
- Grate parmesan cheese directly into the pan, stir until melted and incorporated into the sauce, add basil leaves, taste and add salt if needed, pepper and take off the heat.