Make this easy creamy tomato sauce for your stuffed pasta like tortelloni or tortellini in a matter of minutes. Minimal ingredients well put together can create loads of flavour!
Take a look at our 5 Minute Ravioli Sauce for a recipe that is even quicker!
Fresh stuffed pasta like tortellini or ravioli is my number one choice for a quick and delicious meal. I often reach for these delightful dumplings when I know I won’t have time in the kitchen.
My love for them comes from another type of dumplings I was raised on. Or it could simply comes from the fact they are ubiquitous in supermarkets. And so easy to serve for dinner!
This recipe for tortelloni is a quick one. And no, ‘tortelloni’ is not ‘tortellini’ spelled wrong. They are two types of Italian stuffed pasta. Similar but not exactly the same!
Tortellini vs Tortelloni
Very similar but with a few differences this stuffed pasta is delicious! The main visible difference is the size. Tortelloni are bigger, nearly the size of ravioli.
They are traditionally stuffed with spinach and ricotta while tortellini are stuffed with a meat filling. That being said, you can find so many types of stuffing nowadays.
That might not be the original way but certainly is delicious. The ones you see in this recipe were filled with mushrooms and mascarpone. And they were divine!
Tortelloni are usually only dressed with butter and sometimes fried sage while tortellini are served in a broth. However, we are taking liberties here by offering a very quick and easy sauce for our tortelloni.
Creamy Tomato Sauce Recipe
This sauce is a combination of cream and tomatoes with a touch of aged cheese. Hard Italian cheese like Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano), Grana Padano, Pecorino Romano or Asiago could be added.
Instead of using straight up tomatoes I went with sun-dried tomato pesto. So much flavour was already built into that condiment, so why not use it for a quick sauce with a killer taste! It’s a little kitchen hack I like using when I need flavours fast!
Finally, I’ve thrown a handful of fresh spinach for a vibrant and healthy touch of green. You can use any vegetables you love. Asparagus, kale or tenderstem broccoli (broccolini) all sound like a great choice to me. You will want to parboil the asparagus and broccoli before adding to the sauce.
Needless to say, I love using this easy and delicious sauce for any type of pasta, stuffed or not! It’s a great recipe to have up your sleeve when you are short on time!
I like serving stuffed pasta with a light salad for a casual weeknight dinner. This Tomato Salad with Basil and Mozzarella is one of my favourites.
More stuffed pasta recipes
- 5 Minute Ravioli Sauce
- Butternut Squash Ravioli Sauce
- Chicken Meatball Soup with Tortellini
- Tortellini with Sun-dried Tomatoes in Cream Sauce
Tortelloni with Creamy Tomato Sauce and Spinach
- 450g/1 lbs fresh tortelloni or tortellini
- 4 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto I used Scala or Delallo in the US
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 4 basil leaves or ½ tsp dried basil
- 250ml/1 cup double/heavy whipping cream
- 30g/1 cup fresh spinach
- 50g/1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese or other hard cheese like Asiago or Pecorino
- salt to taste
- Set a large pot of salted water boiling and cook the tortelloni according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile in a large and deep pan heat the sun-dried tomato pesto together with minced garlic over low heat and fry while stirring for no longer than 30 seconds. Then add the basil, heavy cream and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer, then add the spinach and let it wilt for a minute, then stir in the grated cheese. Take off the heat and keep warm.
- Drain the tortelloni while reserving ½ cup of pasta water. Add the tortelloni directly to the sauce and toss gently to combine. If the dish is a bit dry add a splash of the reserved pasta water to loosen it until the right consistency. Serve immediately with additional grated Parmesan and black pepper.
- Tortelloni or Tortellini with any filling are suitable for this recipe.
- You can use fresh or frozen stuffed pasta.
- To lighten the sauce you can use single cream or light cream (20%) fat.