This easy Thai red curry with shrimp and snow peas is quicker to make at home than to order a takeout! Not to mention cheaper!!
Take a look at our Instant Pot Chicken with Thai Glaze if you are a fan of these flavours.
You will love this Thai curry recipe because it’s exactly the kind of dish that will warm you up from the inside on a cold winter night without being too heavy.
It’s colourful and delicious and takes 15 minutes to make with barely any chopping involved. Throw your rice in a rice cooker and by the time it’s done, your curry is waiting for you.
I know what you are thinking that curry pastes are difficult to make from scratch. They take a lot of time, ingredients and knowledge of the Thai cuisine.
All true but because we are focusing on quick and easy dinners we are going to cheat a little. We are going to use pre-made high quality Thai red curry paste!
- Get all ingredients ready on your countertop because things will move fast once we start.
- Use either shrimp or chicken breasts for a quick dinner.
- Make sure your curry paste is of the best quality you can afford. That will ensure authentic flavours. You can use red or green curry paste. The green one is generally spicier.
- Use vegetables in your curry that cook equally fast like snow peas that I used.
- Garnish your curry with fresh, aromatic herbs like cilantro and Thai basil and fresh lime wedges for added flavour.
- Serve with either rice or noodles.
Thai curry ingredient suggestions
This curry is made with shrimp aka prawns but you can easily use chicken. Or make it vegetarian (which I often do).
You can also add any vegetables you like to it. Green beans, mushrooms, asparagus, bok choy and zucchini all taste amazing.
If you are a soup fan, there is no reason why you wouldn’t turn this curry unto a soup like Thai Noodle Soup right here. Just add more broth and you are golden.
More Easy Curry Recipes to Try:
- Indian Butter Chicken
- Chinese Chicken Curry
- Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry(Vegetarian)
- Easy Cauliflower and Potato Curry(Vegetarian)
This recipe was originally published in 01/2014. Updated and republished in 02/202
Thai Red Curry with Prawns and Snow Peas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp Sesame oil optional
- ½ fresh red chilli sliced or ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 yellow or red pepper large, sliced
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste if using very thick, concentrated paste, ½ cup/190gr if using runnier paste (for UK readers)
- 1 lbs prawns/shrimp
- 400ml/14 oz coconut milk full fat
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 65g/1 cup snow peas
- 10g/3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- ½ lime, juice only
- 2-3 basil leaves Thai basil is preferred
- Slice the bell pepper and fresh chilli. Take cilantro leaves off their stalks, chop up the stalks finely.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat and when it's hot add both vegetable oil and sesame oil. Then add chopped cilantro stalks, sliced pepper and chile, stir fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the curry paste and cook it while stirring for a minute, then pour in coconut milk and fish sauce, mix to combine.
- Add the shrimp and snow peas and cook for 3 minutes. Both of those need very little time to be done. As soon as shrimp turns pink turn the heat off. Stir in cilantro and basil leaves.
- Taste your curry and squeeze some lime juice into it if needed. Serve over rice or noodles.