Chicken and potatoes roasted with lemon, garlic and rosemary is one of those comfort food recipes that is handy to have up your sleeve!
All you need to compliment this one pan dinner is a simple salad like my Creamy Tomato and Cucumber Salad.
Chicken and Potatoes
I am sure you won’t argue if I say that chicken and potatoes go as well together as bread and butter. They are such a classic and satisfying combinations and I love finding exciting ways to cook them, especially when they are roasted with herbs and garlic.
The same could be said about lemon and rosemary pairing. Fresh, vibrant and citrusy. It brings so much zing to the chicken and balances out the fat!
Now add a touch of garlic and a punnet of mushrooms and we are cooking!
How to make lemon rosemary chicken
Roasted Rosemary Lemon Chicken and Potatoes is a one pot type of dish that never disappoints. The easiest yet the tastiest thing to throw together.
No marinade, no countless dishes, everything prepped and done within an hour. And because it uses the cheapest parts of the chicken like thighs and legs, is also economical.
No wonder it earned a permanent place on the menu in our house!
All you have to do is to mix chopped rosemary and garlic with olive oil and lemon juice. Smother the rub all over the chicken leg and thighs as well as potatoes and roast in the oven.
Can I use dried rosemary?
Yes you can but fresh rosemary imparts such gorgeous flavour and aroma I would urge you to get it fresh. Rosemary keeps well in a fridge for over a week and could be used in so many other dishes like my Italian Rosemary Chicken.
You can also substitute rosemary with thyme or other herbs of your choosing. You can also replace mushrooms with asparagus, broccoli or any other vegetables you love.
This recipe was originally published in 09/2013. Updated with new photos, text and video in 03/2020.
- 4-6 Potatoes medium, halved or quartered
- 6-8 Chicken legs and thighs
- 8-10 Chestnut/Brown Mushrooms optional
- 1 Lemon
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 3 sprigs Rosemary
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F/250C
- On a cutting board chop up rosemary leaves and garlic roughly. In a mortar combine chopped rosemary, garlic, a pinch of coarse salt and 1 tbsp of olive oil and bash it all together with a pestle until you have a paste, then add the rest of the olive oil and the juice of the lemons, reserve the lemon halves.
- Arrange the chicken pieces and potatoes on a baking tray and spoon the rosemary mixture on top making sure it covers chicken and potatoes. Stick the lemon halves wherever you have free space on the tray, they will infuse more flavour into the dish. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and add mushrooms, baste chicken, potatoes and mushrooms with the juices form the bottom of the pan. Cook for additional 25 minutes.