Do you have enough of butternut squash recipes to last you through the season? This roasted butternut squash with spiced lentils, feta and pine nuts is an excellent meat-free dinner you will want to make again and again!
For another reader favourite check out our Creamy Orzo Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash.
We are not a vegetarian family. In fact, we are all meat lovers, yet we eat vegetarian meals 2-3 times a week. Some days just call for light meat-free meals, and especially now that the weather is turning warm and sunny.
This Roasted Butternut Squash with Spiced Lentils, Feta and Pine nuts is a beautiful vegetarian meal that will not make you miss meat one bit!
Butternut Squash Recipes
I love having a few of my favourite butternut squash recipes to choose from, so I can incorporate this lovely vegetable in so many different ways! Orecchiette Pasta with Chorizo and Roasted Butternut Squash is definitely a winner.
Or if you are looking for a delicious side dish, give this Butternut Squash Gratin a try. Our silky smooth Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup could be enjoyed as a starter or a meal in its own right for lunch.
This recipe I am sharing today is perfectly balanced in flavour. It is incredibly satisfying, not to mention nutritious. Butternut squash, lentils, herbs and nuts equal vitamins, minerals, fibre and protein.
It’s the whole nine yards, friends!
The sweetness of the roasted butternut squash compliments lentils seasoned with a touch of curry spice. When topped off with the briny feta cheese and crunchy pine nuts, this dish lacks nothing!
- To speed up the cooking process it’s important to get all ingredients ready before the start and multitask!
- First off, set the lentils to cook in a pot of water or use canned lentils if desired.
- Then get the butternut squash cut up (or buy pre-cut squash) and roasting. Feel free to use any type of squash.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, jump on the next step of making spiced lentils. You can use 2 tbsp of any curry paste instead of the dry spices used in the recipe. Experiment with flavours!
- As soon as the squash is tender and caramelised, combine the spiced lentils and the squash in the same pan where it was roasted to save on washing dishes.
- Top with feta and pine nuts before serving.
More butternut squash recipes:
- Creamy Butternut Squash Gnocchi
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Sage and Goat Cheese
- Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry
This recipe was originally published in 03/2014. Updated and republished in 02/2021.
- 190g/1 cup green lentils dry, uncooked
- 2 lbs(1) butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion large, sliced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 400g/14 oz canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 20g/1/2 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 20g/1/2 cup cilantro/coriander chopped
- 100g/1/2 cut feta crumbled
- 35g/1/4 cup pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Wash the lentils and put them in a pot with plenty of water, bring to a boil, add a pinch of salt and cook until tender but not falling apart for 20 min.
- Cube the butternut squash, toss with a tablespoons of olive oil and spread on a shallow baking pan, sprinkle with some salt. Roast for 30 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, slice the onions and cook them in remaining olive oil over low heat for 5 minutes without browning, then add cumin, turmeric, paprika, garlic and some salt and cook for a minute longer stirring.
- Then add canned tomatoes, half the parsley and half the cilantro, a pinch of sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in cooked lentils in the last 5 minutes.
- Add the spiced lentil mixture to the pan with roasted butternut squash and toss gently to coat the squash evenly. Add remaining parsley and cilantro.
- Serve with crumbled feta and a sprinkle with pine nuts.