This luxuriously creamy mushroom pasta comes together in 20 minutes. Quick and delicious meat free dinner.
Start your pasta dinner with an Italian bruschetta as a starter for an authentic experience.
Pasta is often enjoyed with some sort of meat in North America while all it really needs is a flavourful sauce to be a complete meal.
Whenever I think of a delicious sauce, mushrooms always come to mind! I am quite obsessed with them and I make no apologies. This mushroom pasta with Parmesan cream sauce is a real winner. It’s quick, inexpensive and so easy to make!
I paired my mushroom sauce with the linguine but tagliatelle, fettuccine or a favourite pasta shape of your choice will do the trick.
Recipe Tips and Notes
- Mushrooms are undoubtedly the star of the show here. So to get even more flavour into your pasta do try to get your hands on different types of mushroom like I did in my Mushroom Stroganoff.
- You also want to fry the mushrooms until they are golden for the most intense flavour. The trick to doing it is maintaining relatively high heat during cooking. Also hold off the salt till the end since the salt encourages mushrooms to release liquid.
- Add herbs to your sauce. Mushrooms are basically sponges. They soak up flavours around them. I used fresh basil but if you want something more potent, thyme or rosemary will pair with mushrooms beautifully.
- I used heavy cream for my sauce but if you want to keep your sauce light, go for light cream or half and half. The sauce will be thinner but also less calorific. If you are worried about the consistency of the sauce with lighter cream, just add a tablespoon of flour to the mushrooms before adding the cream to thicken it.
As I mentioned, this vegetarian pasta is absolutely enough to satisfy most appetites. However, it’s great to add some sides to round off a meal.
In this case, I recommend making our Roasted Parmesan Broccoli with Sun-dried Tomatoes, Garlic and Chillies. Such a perky side dish to balance out the creamy pasta.
Or if you want something even quicker, try our Lemon Garlic Green Beans with Parmesan.
Favourite Mushroom Recipes to Try:
- Chicken Risotto with Mushrooms and Thyme
- Mashed Potato Casserole with Mushrooms and Caramelised Onions
- Creamy Tagliatelle with Bacon, Mushrooms and Truffle Oil
- Beef, Mushroom and Snow Pea Stir Fry
- 1 lbs pasta such as linguine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 200g/2 cups mushrooms sliced
- salt to taste
- 4-5 leaves basil
- 80ml/1/3 cup dry white wine
- 375ml/1 ½ cups double/heavy cream
- 50g/1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta in a pot of salted boiling water according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan and add the sliced mushrooms, fry them over medium high heat until golden, then season with salt, pepper sliced basil. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, bring the heat down to medium and let it simmer until the wine is reduced in volume. Add the heavy cream, Parmesan cheese and stir to combine allowing the cheese to melt into the sauce. Then add salt to taste.
- Drain the pasta and reserve ½ cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine, season with more salt, otherwise the pasta might taste a bit bland. If the dish is a bit dry, add a splash to boiling water to loosen it, then sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.