You will fall in love with this easy 2 ingredient Italian dessert Affogato! Espresso and ice cream create numerous flavour combinations you will never get bored of!
For another authentic Italian treat, take a look at Sgroppino, the delicious lemon sorbet and Prosecco cocktail.
Salted Caramel Affogato
Doesn’t it look heavenly! Do you know what else is so stellar about this dessert? It’s a dessert your children will not steal from you because it requires a sophisticated adult taste and a deep love for coffee…and caramel.
Better yet, only two ingredients and 5 minutes of your time are needed!
What is affogato?
Affogato is Italian for “drowned”, so literally what you get is delicious ice cream drowned in a shot of espresso. I can’t imagine anything better for an afternoon pick me up.
Just picture yourself with a good book or a magazine and a cup of that liquid delight. I am pretty sure it would also go nicely with my morning paper and a holiday in Sicily this summer.
Alas, summer holiday in Sicily is not in the near future, so my homemade affogato will do!
How to make it
It’s so easy I can’t wait to share it with you! Simply scoop ice cream into pretty glasses. Make espresso and pour it while it’s still hot over the ice cream.
Don’t wait any longer, enjoy immediately!!
Affogato toppings to try
Here is where you can get as creative as you like! I’ve used chocolate curls but the following are also delicious.
- cacao powder
- caramel sauce
- chocolate covered espresso beans
- Chopped nuts
- a lashing of your favourite liqueur like Baileys or Kahlua
More Italian dessert recipes:
- 2 scoops salted caramel ice cream or ice cream flavour of your choice
- 60ml/2oz espresso or strong coffee
- chocolate shavings or curls optional
- Scoop ice cream into two individual cups or short glasses.
- Prepare espresso and pour over ice-cream, add Amaretto or Bailey’s if desired and sprinkle with chocolate.