Would you like to impress your significant other with a tasty pasta number? This creamy pasta with smoked salmon is quite remarkable yet requires minimal ingredients and takes 20 minutes to throw together.
I’ve been wanting to share this smoked salmon pasta recipe for a while, so forgive me if I am a bit too excited to finally deliver. And do I ever!!
This creamy pasta recipe is truly something special and so simple to make. I personally think it’s ideal for a date night since it’s easy, quick and delicious. Because who wants to spend hours in the kitchen before a hot date? Red face, frizzy hair…no thank you.
Although I just mentioned that this creamy pasta with smoked salmon is perfect for a date night, it is also a huge winner with kids. Mine gobbled it up as soon as I took the last photo and asked if the leftovers were for dinner.
How do you make smoked salmon pasta?
In my recipe for smoked salmon pasta I drew on the flavours that smoked salmon is traditionally served with like lemon, capers, creme fraiche and chives.
I decided not to use any Parmesan cheese in the sauce itself as I thought the bold flavours of smoked salmon and aged cheese would compete with each other, rather than compliment.
I did serve the finished product with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and that amount was just perfect.
It acted as a light seasoning rather than a dominating flavour, which was just right. I wanted the smoked salmon to be my shining star in this stunning pasta dish.
And finally just a tiny dusting of green chives that added a touch of colour and some brightness of flavour to this creamy pasta.
What is a good substitute for creme fraiche?
I wanted to use creme fraiche in this smoked salmon pasta recipe as I believe the slightly tangy taste adds another dimension of flavour to this dish.
However, if creme fraiche is unavailable use heavy cream and 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice.
So who are you going to make this pasta with smoked salmon for?
For more special occasion pasta recipes check out our favourites:
I would love to see your creations made from the Vikalinka kitchen. Simply tag @vikalinka in your Instagram snaps to share them with me!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 400ml/1 ½ cups creme fraiche see recipe notes for substitution
- 125ml/1/2 cup pasta water
- 200g/7oz cold smoked salmon
- 1 lemon zest only
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 lbs pasta
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp chives
- Set a large pot of water over medium heat and bring to a boil, add salt once boiled. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan, then add minced garlic and cook briefly over low heat for 10-20 seconds, then add creme fraiche, lemon zest and capers, heat through. Make sure the heat if set to low to keep the sauce smooth, otherwise creme fraiche might separate. Add the pasta water from the boiling pot and stir to combine.
- Add the smoked salmon cut into strips and cook for a couple of minutes until the salmon turns from bright orange to opaque.
- Drain the pasta, while reserving ½ cup of water. Add the pasta directly to the pan with the sauce and toss gently to combine. Add a splash of water if the sauce is too dry until desired consistency. Taste the pasta and add salt only if necessary. It will depend on the saltiness of your smoked salmon.
- Served sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped chives.