Do you know what I love? Leftovers. Not the kind that keep dragging on and on like a big pot of chilli that just won’t quit, so every day you HAVE to eat it for lunch. The kind that could be re-invented and transformed into something completely new. A couple of week ago I cooked a enormous chunk of beef in my slow cooker. I made Rustic Italian Beef Ragu that I served with pappardelle pasta and Parmesan which made for an incredibly delicious meal. What I ended up with? This much meat leftover.
We all agreed at the table while we were enjoying our dinner that this meet would taste delicious in a burrito. Today’s recipe is not exactly that but something similar. It’s an Italian spin on a classic quesadilla which is so loved in our family. I took some time to brainstorm and came up with this version. A flour tortilla stuffed with Italian beef ragu, shredded mozzarella, marinated roasted red peppers and fresh basil leaves, served with fresh salsa made with ripe cherry tomatoes, basil and last but not least, garlic marinated with red chillies in olive oil.
All you have to do to prepare this deliciously fresh salsa is to throw all ingredients in the food processor…
…and give it a whirl…Stunning flavours and colours are for you to enjoy! Summer, I can almost smell you!
Making your quesadillas is just a matter of assembly. Set your non-stick frying pan on the stove over medium heat. Sometimes I use a little olive oil for frying my quesadillas but more often I cook them on a dry pan to reduce fat content of my food. Use your discretion in this case. Lay out your flour tortilla and spread 1/4 cup of Italian Beef Ragu, recipe found here, scatter some sliced marinated roasted red peppers, shredded mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves and top with another tortilla.
Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for 2- 3 minutes on the other side until the cheese is melted, the filling is heated through and the tortilla is toasted.
There are not too many things that are so tasty and comforting as crispy tortilla stuffed with gooey cheese, and tender meat dunked in delicious salsa, are there?!
I am getting SO hungry just thinking about them and remember their deliciousness!
- 1/2 recipe- Crock Pot Rustic Italian beef ragu recipe linked
- 1 cup- Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2- Marinated Roasted Red Peppers sliced
- 16-20- fresh basil leaves
- 8- Flour Tortillas
For the Salsa
- 8-10 cloves- Sicilian style chilli spiced garlic if using fresh garlic use 2-3 cloves only
- 1 1/2 cups- ripe cherry tomatoes
- 8-10- fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp.- olive oil I used oil from the jar with garlic
- salt to taste
- Set your non-stick frying pan on the stove over medium heat.
- You can use a little olive oil for frying quesadillas or use dry pan if you want to reduce fat content.
- Lay your flour tortilla and spread 1/4 cup of Italian Beef Ragu, scatter some sliced marinated roasted red peppers, shredded mozzarella cheese and fresh basil leaves and top with another tortilla.
- Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes on one side, then flip it and cook for 2- 3 minutes on the other side until the cheese is melted, the filling is heated through and the tortilla is toasted.
- Repeat until all filling and tortillas are used.
For the salsa
- Put garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil with a pinch of salt in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Taste and add more salt if needed.