If you feel like spoiling your loved ones with these exquisite French chocolate madeleines, here is your recipe!
(Thank you to Baking Time Club for sponsoring this post and supporting the Vikalinka kitchen! All opinions remain my own.)
It’s been unseasonably cold in London and I am trying everything in my power to keep the house warm and toast. And when your boiler is no longer up to the task you employ the big guns aka my oven. The oven’s been on in the Vikalinka kitchen for days lately as I’ve been baking various goodies to keep my family fed and happy.
These chocolate madeleines are my first attempt at French madeleines and I should have started with the classic recipe before I ventured out into the chocolate variety but I am often driven by the visual and here is what I saw.
I recently got two packets of sprinkles from Baking Time Club, a UK company that delivers the most stunning sprinkle mixes, which also happen to be gluten free, vegan, naturally coloured! When I looked at my choices, I was immediately drawn to Cosmic Blush and Cosmic Unicorn varieties.
I knew as soon as I laid my eyes on those sprinkles that they would look stunning against the dark chocolate like bright and shiny stars on a midnight sky! Talk about a bit of drama!
Well in the end a dramatic look is exactly what I got! But it’s not all looks and no substance. When it comes to my cooking and baking philosophy, taste comes first! Always.
These chocolate madeleines are little plump cakes with an intense chocolate flavour. A batch is baked within 8 minutes and as with all madeleines are best eaten on the same day! To add a bit more decadence I dipped each chocolate madeleine in white chocolate and then sprinkled them with the cosmic blush and cosmic unicorn sprinkles!
GIVEAWAY! Exciting news is that you can win a mix of your choice of Baking Time Club Sprinkles. To enter the giveaway comment on this post and tell me what you will bake and decorate with these stunning mixes. The winner will be randomly chosen and announced in my Instagram stories on March 31, 2018.
Click on the photo below to see the full range of sprinkles.
Baking Time Club Cosmic Blush Chocolate Madeleines
Author: Julia Frey of Vikalinka
Recipe type: Dessert
- 100g/3/4 cup flour
- 70g/1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 eggs, large
- 200g/1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp orange blossom water or vanilla
- 185 g/ 6 oz unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- butter for greasing the pan
- 100 g white chocolate
- Cosmic Blush Baking Time Club Sprinkles
- In a small bowl combine sifted flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl of stand mixer combine eggs, sugar and the orange blossom water and whip with a balloon wisk on high for 7 minutes until thick, pale yellow and tripled in volume.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones in three additions, fold in carefully with a spatula taking care not to deflate the batter. Then fold in the melted and cooled butter.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Butter the madeleine pan and put it in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Fill ¾ of each mold with the batter, do not spread. Bake for 8 minutes. Take the baked madeleines out of the pan, wipe the pan clean and cool. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Melt chopped white chocolate in a small bowl set over a pot of simmering water over very low heat. Watch it carefully as white chocolate burns quickly.
- Dip each madeleine into melted white chocolate and sprinkle with the cosmic blush sprinkles immediately before the chocolate is set.