Thai Noodle Bowl

Thai Noodle Bowl
“I would kill!!!! for a noodle bowl but the broth would probably kill me with salt”, my sister Lydia texted me about a week ago. Looks like a text of an overly dramatic girl except that Lydia’s health condition is so serious that every single word in that text is pretty darn close to truth. Due to Type I diabetes her kidneys failed a year before she turned 30 leaving her first, fighting for her life,  then being put on a waiting list for a transplant,  then waiting.  Waiting is a tough business but what makes it even worse is her incredibly restrictive diet, sodium being her mortal nemesis.  Asian food, of course, comes to mind immediately when you think of ‘high sodium” offenders, especially if cooked in a restaurant.

As soon as Lydia mentioned her craving, I had a recipe in mind and I was determined to make it delicious and guilt-free! Thai Noodle Bowl is basically a Chicken Noodle Soup with a Thai twist. It takes 20 minutes to prepare and it gets all the flavour from spices and not MSG. If you are an Asian food lover chances are you have all the ingredients in your fridge already. I certainly did but I am also told by my friends my condiment section is out of control.

Thai Noodle Bowl
Ingredients: (Serves 4)

• Oil- 1 tbsp.
  • Sesame Oil- 1 tbsp.
  • Onion, diced- 1 medium
  • Celery, diced- 2 ribs
  • Garlic, minced- 4 cloves
  • Lemon grass (I used a pre-made paste from a tube)- 1 tbsp.
  • Chilli powder- 1 tbsp.
  • Dried Chilli flakes- 1/8-1/4 tsp. (to taste)
  • Low-sodium Chicken Broth, pre-made or your own- 6 cups/1.5 litre
  • Canned Crushed Tomatoes- 1 cup
  • Chicken Breast, diced into bite size pieces- 2
  • Fish Sauce (Nam Pla or Nuoc Mam)- 3 tbsp.
  • Cilantro/Coriander leaves- 1 cup
  • Chow Mein Noodles or any other Asian noodles or even spaghettini- 125 gr.
  • Spinach- 150 gr
  • Lime juice- from 1 lime

Method:

1. In a large pot heat both oils, then add diced onions, celery, minced garlic, lemon grass paste, chilli powder and red chilli flakes and cook until soft over medium heat for 5 minutes.
  2. Add the broth, tomatoes, chicken, fish sauce, cilantro leaves and bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Add the noodles to the pot and cook according to package directions, mine took 5 minutes.
  4. Once the noodles are done, stir in spinach leaves and lime juice and take off the heat.

If you think chicken noodle soup is boring and reserved for sick days you will change your mind after trying my recipe.  Thai Noodle Bowl is a vibrant with a hint of spice dish that tastes even better than your favourite restaurant can deliver while you know all the ingredients that went into it.

Thai Noodle Bowl
{Note} The recipe was adapted from Food and Wine Magazine “Quick from scratch one-dish meals”cookbook.

Comments

1. says

This looks AMAZING!!!! I can’t wait I try this and eat till I am unable to eat anymore. As you said I have been craving this for a year an am so excited to have an option. Thank you so much for writing this for me!! I will def let you know how it turns out! Eeee!!! You’re the best.

2. says

So many Julia’s around here!!
    Anyways, I’m pretty sure “Paprika” is making this tonight!! Boston is COLD so it’s much needed but what she doesn’t realize is this soup will most likely raise my body temperature up so much that the need to finally take the AC out of the window will be less important. Especially after I heat the leftovers up for the rest of the week. I might have to turn the AC on. She is not gonna like that. We shared this on our weekly blog round up, “Whacchhoo Bloggin’ Bout” Thank you for Dinner!

Justin and Garnet

3. kelly says

Do u think that rice noodles like pad thai noodles would work, and if so should I cook them first or just put them in the soup like your recipe.

Thanks so much

Kelly

• vikalinka says

Kelly, rice noodles will definitely work. I wouldn’t cook them separately, just put them in the soup. There is plenty of liquid there and they will absorb more flavour this way.

4. Andrea says

I found this recipe about two months ago, and it’s become a staple in our house. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    One question: Do you have the nutritional values detailed somewhere?

• vikalinka says

So happy to hear you love the recipe, Andrea! Unfortunately, I don’t have any nutritional info besides the fact it’s low sodium. I adapted it for my sister-in-law and sodium intake was her main dietary concern at the time.

Trackbacks

1. […] Thai Noodle Bowl –  Warm? Right? Is that the first word that popped into your head after seeing this beautiful photo?   This love bowl will warm up, even the coldest bone in your littlest toe.  Make sure to send Julia from, “VIKALINKA”  the extra money you save off your heating bill when you make this once a week.  Or just click around her site and check out all the other wonderful dishes shes making over in the UK. […]