Baked brie cheese drizzled with whiskey and maple syrup, then topped with walnuts is a crowd pleaser! This delicious appetizer will win you over with its simplicity of preparation, outrageously delicious taste and the wow factor!
For more party food inspiration take a look at our Christmas Party Recipe Collection!
As much as I love cooking it’s important for me to have a few tricks up my sleeve, which alleviate the stress of holiday entertainment. Even if we are not hosting large parties, we have to think of many, many meals and snacks over the holidays with everyone being home.
Baked brie is one of those winning recipes, that everyone adores. It’s easy, always delicious, not to mention impressive to look at! The best part is the flavour combinations are limitless.
Baked Brie Toppings
Topping brie with cranberry sauce is an absolute classic, and delivers a great balance of savoury and sweet. However I wanted to try something slightly different.
First I cut most of the top rind off and stuffed garlic slices into the soft flesh. Then I drizzled my brie cheese with a splash of whiskey and maple syrup for the same winning combination of the savoury and sweet.
Finally I added some chopped fresh rosemary for the fragrant herbaceous notes and piled walnuts on top. I baked my 250g wheel of brie for 15 minutes at 450F/220. It will take a bit longer if you have a large wheel.
After the cheese is baked you are rewarded with an oozing salty lava but perhaps not quite as scorching hot! It will be far more delicious too.
The melted cheese is perfumed with the garlic, rosemary and whiskey and sweetened with maple syrup while the toasted walnuts add a pleasing crunch.
What to Serve with It
Apart from a variety of crackers and sliced baguette, I love adding fresh figs and olives to the mix. If you happen to have a pomegranate, sprinkle a few seeds over your baked brie. The cheese will look gorgeous and taste even better!
I also love using fresh rosemary to garnish my brie to emote the look of a festive Christmas wreath. Just a few clever tricks and you are left with something stunning to present to your family!
More Festive Appetizer Recipes:
- Hot Crab and Corn Dip
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Cream Cheese and Prosciutto
- Cheese Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Prosciutto
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Maple Whiskey Baked Brie with Walnuts
- 250g/8oz brie cheese
- ½ clove garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp whiskey or bourbon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary fresh only
- 50g/1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds optional
- Preheat the oven to 450F/220C. Cut the rind off the top of a wheel of brie cheese. Cut slits into the cheese and insert garlic slices. Do not be tempted to put a whole clove in or it will overpower the cheese. Sprinkle with whisky all over.
- Top with chopped rosemary and walnuts. Then drizzle with maple syrup or honey. Bake at 450F/220F for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds before serving.