- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 lbs potatoes see recipe notes
- 500ml/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 125ml/1/2 cup double/heavy cream
- 50g/1/2 cup Double Gloucester/Cheddar Cheese
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 green onions
Turn the Saute button on your Instant Pot and sauté chopped shallots and celery in olive oil for 4-5 minutes, add minced garlic and thyme leaves and cook for 30 seconds longer while stirring.
Add the stock, bite-sized cubed potatoes and salt. Pressure cook on High for 8 minutes. While the soup is cooking, fry the bacon and chop it up. When the soup is done, allow the pressure to naturally release.
Ladle out half of the soup and blend it until smooth, pour it back in the pot, add the cream, grated cheese and salt to taste. (You may need to turn the saute button back on for the cheese to melt. )Serve topped with bacon bits, sliced green onions and grated cheese.
The recipe uses two types of potatoes for a creamy base with some texture.
- Starchy/floury potatoes like Russet Potatoes(US) and Maris Piper(UK)
- Waxy potatoes like Red Potatoes
Calories: 315kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 691mg | Potassium: 838mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 505IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 133mg | Iron: 5mg