- 1tbsp olive oil
- 350g/12oz italian sausages, casing removed I used chicken sausage
- 1 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning or dried basil and oregano combined
- 2litres/8 cups chicken stock
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 50g/1/2 cup small pasta such as star pasta (stelline), acini de pepe or orzo
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 30g/1cup fresh spinach frozen can be used
- salt to taste
Remove casing from sausages and cut them into 1 inch pieces, then roll each piece into a meatball. Sear the meatballs in a large soup pot in 1 tbsp of olive oil on high heat for approximately 5 minutes until golden all around but not cooked all the way through. Remove to a plate. Discard the fat but 1 tbsp.
To the same pot add chopped onion, celery and carrot and sauté for 5 minutes over low heat, then add pressed garlic clove and Italian seasoning and cook for 30 seconds longer. Pour in the chicken stock, Parmesan cheese rind if using, return the meatballs back to the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Then add the pasta, stir and cook the pasta according to package directions for 5-7 minutes. Add the fresh spinach and chopped parsley, let the soup simmer for 2 minutes, then take off the heat. Discard the Parmesan rind and serve with shaved or grated Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 465mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1909IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg