- 3 lbs chicken legs and thighs
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 375ml/1.5 cups dry red or white wine such as Chianti, Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon
- flour for dredging
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets chopped
- 80g/1/2 cup green or black olives pitted
- 800g/28oz canned chopped tomatoes
Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper and put them in a a bowl or a resealable plastic bag, add rosemary leaves, bay leaves, 3 cloves of sliced garlic and red or white wine. Marinade overnight or at least for one hour.
Preheat oven to 350F/180C
Take chicken out of the marinade, dredge them in flour and brown evenly in hot olive oil in a large pan. Reserve the marinade. Chicken doesn't have to be cooked all the way through at this stage. If all of your chicken pieces don't fit, brown them in batches and remove on a separate plate.
Add remaining sliced garlic, anchovies and olives to the pan and cook for a minute. Add canned tomatoes, reserved marinade and chicken to the pan. Bring to a boil and put it in the oven uncovered at 350F/180C for 1 hour.
Calories: 749kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 168mg | Sodium: 727mg | Potassium: 682mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 289IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 6mg