- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 300 g/6 sausages
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 7-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped or 1 tsp dried basil
- 400g/14oz can of chopped tomatoes/crushed tomatoes for US and Canada
- 1 lbs short pasta such as fusilli or penne
- 60g/3cups of arugula/rocket
- 2 balls of thickly sliced fresh mozzarella/8 oz shredded mozzarella
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 3-4 basil leaves
Remove casing from sausages, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a deep pan and cook sausage meat over medium heat while breaking it up in small chunks with a wooden spoon until no longer pink for 7-10 minutes. Add garlic, fennel seeds and basil, cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add canned tomatoes, bring it to a boil and then turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. While the sauce is simmering cook pasta according to package instructions minus 2 minutes. Pasta should be quite firm as it will be baked later.
Drain pasta and add to the sauce along with fresh arugula or spinach. Top with sliced mozzarella, halved cherry tomatoes and basil leaves. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Bake at 375F/19C for 20 minutes until piping hot and the cheese is melted and golden.
Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 424mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 455IU | Vitamin C: 11.7mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2.5mg